Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Filter Your Water?

I buy water--the water from our taps is gross--lots of clorine--I use the bottled for my cat as well.

Honored Contributor

I drink the water from my fridge. I also cook with it. You can get filters for your shower. But you must change those filters also just like a furnace filter or fridge filter
Respected Contributor

Yes, we have a water filter underneath our kitchen sink.  We also have a water cooler that we use for drinking.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I wish we had a system that would cover both the kitchen and bathrooms.  We have terribly hard water and it also affects your skin and hair.  I have a Zero Water pitcher that i use to fill the cat bowls, not for any health benefit, but just to keep the bowls from getting the depostins on them which are impossible to remove.  Lime-away won't touch it.  There is a filter in the fridge, but I tested it with the TDS meter you get with the Zero Water pitcher and the difference between it and our tap water was miniscule.  Even the Zero Water water never makes it to 0.

@Icegoddess we use a Zero Water pitcher too. We use it for everything from making coffee to the cats' drinking water. Because our water is hard (and we have a water softener) the filters only last a couple of weeks. Since the filters are so expensive, I've decided to get a Brita water pitcher instead because they've come out with a long-lasting filter that's supposedly good for six months so, hopefully, this will save us a little money. 

Respected Contributor

We have an upgraded filter on our fridge that we change monthly; it is better than the one that is recommended for our fridge; I also drink bottled Ozarka spring water. The filter is mainly for the icemaker.

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily Whole house system with water filtration and water softening, reverse osmosis under the kitchen sink, no fridge water (don't want that) but have filtered drinking water brought in monthly and then that is pured into a PUR filtering pitcher and placed in the fridge. Also have PUR filter on the kitchen sink.

We have HORRIBLE water. We researched for the 2 years we rented and when we bought the house, had everything installed. Dramatic difference, I have to tell you. I have a service contract for changing/checking all the filters/system as well. Worth every penny.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

We have our own well, and it has tested safe, but really needs to be tested again as it's been awhile. So thanks for that reminder!

We have a whole house filter, a water softener, a reverse osmosis system. We also have a Berkey water filter system just in case, but don't use it on a regular basis. 

Honored Contributor

We have our own wells; one for the water we drink and use indoors, and another dedicated for outdoor watering.  Our refrigerator has a filter for the water dispenser, not sure about the ice maker.  It wasn't a feature we were looking for.  We liked the fridge and it happened to come that way.  Our tap water is not filtered.  Never had a problem