Respected Contributor

Do You Filter Your Water?

[ Edited ]

I have a 3 water filters in my house.

-There is a water filtration system with the water softener in the basement.

-Under the kitchen sink, I have another water filtration system.

-The new refrigerator I have has a water filter (& does a great job) and an air filter.

I'm so intimidated by some home maintenance tasks bc I'm not good at them. Today, the filters under the sink that I changed were dripping. I could only imagine that I'd have to turn the kitchen faucet off until I got a hold of a plumber.

Instead, I redid the filters' replacement process and everything was working fine. Phew! (& knock on wood)

I moved into a new house 9 months ago, so some things are new to me here.

Frankly, I feel like such a failure when I can't figure out how to do something. Things like assembling anything, figuring out a new thermostat, replacing ink in a new printer (I did that today, too), tasks that are sometimes considered "simple" simply make me feel like a loser.

This isn't a new phenomenon as I get older; nope, I've always felt this way. In school, I was intimidated by sports.

There are reasons I filter my water. In the early 1990's my sibling's family got cryptosporidium from water in Milwaukee County. I lived a distance from there, but one day I came home & there was a red warning sign on my front door that said Do Not Use the Water! I turned on the sink, & it was brown raw sewage. Ew. I drove to a friend's house 40 miles away that had a private well & stayed there a week. My friend tested the well water later that year, and it failed bc it had other contaminants.

So even if I shed a few tears trying to change the water filters, I will continue to have water filtration systems & change water filters.

My sibling's family only drinks bottled water.

I confess that I used to drink bottled water until I felt guilty about the environment. I only drink water from my refrigerator - it's been filtered from the basement & the kitchen sink before it's filtered in the frig. And, I often wish I had a filter on the shower.

Do you filter your water?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Filter Your Water?

[ Edited ]

Yes, we have a reverse osmosis system in the kitchen. It filters both our tap water and the water dispenser in our fridge. 

Honored Contributor

No.  We have quality water thru the next town over, and use it for everything without question.  

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily    I've never bought a bottle of water or have I ever filtered anything.  I did have an RO system on the kitchen sink when I lived in West Texas as the water was virtually undrinkable.

People here in NM complain about the water but I love it.  After Texas, it's like manna from Heaven.  When I moved I took all my drinking glasses to a dumpster because they were etched by the water like milk glass, even after using an anti lime chemical in every dishwasher load.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I get Sparkletts delivery twice a month, either 2 or 3 5-gallon jugs each delivery.  It's expensive but my water here tastes terrible & is very hard with a lot of minerals.  I used to get cases of bottled water from Costco, but the amount of plastic bottles we were using was obscene.  Plus when my kids were still home there would be half drunk bottles everywhere.  Now I have a dispenser in the garage for hot & cold water.  It's a relief to know I always have fresh water now for me & my dogs.

Trusted Contributor

I have a water pitcher with a filter that I use for my iron and for my Keurig (only used for guest since we don't drink coffee).  At the lake house we have a Kinetico filter system.  We have well water there that is high in manganese and the filter takes care of it very well.

Trusted Contributor

Yes we installed a Reverse Osmosis system prior to having kids.  That is connected to our refrigerator.  I can't drink regular tab water any more.  

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Yes, we have a reverse osmosis system in the kitchen. It filters both our tap water and the water dispenser in our fridge. 

We have the same.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@deeva wrote:

We have the same.

@haddon9 @deeva , Make that three of us. It was the best investment I ever made. Gone are the days of hauling cases of bottled water and gallons or water into the house. I can't do that anymore. The reverse osmosis system has been a blessing.  

Esteemed Contributor

No!  Our tap water is what you buy bottled!