Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Hi Everyone.  Just stopping in to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July!  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!  

@aprilskies - Hello! I haven't seen you around in ages! How nice to see you! Hope all is well with you. 

@rnmom All is well, thank you! I have missed being here and it is nice to see everyone again.  It just has been busy all around and I have not been full of sunshine so I thought I would spare everyone. 🤣

To relieve some stress I have been doing some decluttering and it has felt good.  I can’t remember everything now but some big things have just been pots and pans I didn’t use or just weren’t good because of the quality and the one thing I am most happy about is the Gazelle exercise machine,  I just  didn’t have the room for it so it was folded up in a corner and it had to go.  I put it out and someone took it.  I am thankful someone will get some use out of it and I no longer have to look at it. 

The interesting part is that I just didn’t have time to dedicate to decluttering but pulling things here and there as I came across them really built up a pile. It was slow but steady and that is okay as I can get hasty when I get in the mode and I didn’t regret what I was getting rid of. Not that I have many regrets at all but a few over the years.  

However, I have been bringing too much in and need to pull that back a little. It has been hard.  So the balance of decluttering vs bringing in isn’t balanced. 

This thread is so inspiring. I appreciate all that post here. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Have been away for a few weeks, so no major decluttering at home. 

Have been maintaining well, though. Did my desk, mail, shredding before I left; left it very neat and up to date.

Also left the house neat, which was so nice to come home to. That's not usually the case for me...usually I have remnants from packing, deciding what to take, laying about in the bedroom, and other places...all was neat and I was surprised at myself! Lol. I forgot I did that much before I left. Made such a difference!!

While away, I did do a major decluttering of my email Inbox, which I had the time to do while relaxing. Now if I can just switch everything to my Gmail account that I never use, because Yahoo sucks now, especially now that they are no longer supporting their server...tons of spam gets into my Inbox, and tons of good emails go to my spam. Got to get to that.

That is all for now~I'm way behind reading here. Summer is in full swing, and so fleeting in my neck of the woods, so I'm usually more busy doing things, living life, July/August, than writing about what I've done during these months. Still wanted to pop in ~Happy weekend all! 😎

EDIT: I forgot...I also went through my nail polish box before going away, and tossed any old, sticky ones. Also threw out old nail files.  I cleaned out the box, & reorganized it neatly, by color categories.

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Ok I finally started the pantry today.  What in the sam hill was I thinking it should be a easy project LOL!  NOT!  I had so much stuff WAY on the top shelf in this walk in pantry.  Things I will never use again and are now piled in the dinning room for donation.  Plastic containers for everything and then some. 

Then it was on to finding all the matching tops and bottoms for the several MORE sets of lock & lock I have.  At least I was able to organize it all and only keep what I think I will use. The rest will be donated and I will never buy that brand as long as I live!  I don't care what color the lids are Woman LOL

You know I discovered I hate having to undo all those flaps going around it.  The big round ones are the worst!  No wonder they were only used a handful of times.  

Then I organized most of the shelves....there is still more to go.  I have this over the door organizer from HSN that I LOVE and it is a disorganized mess but everything on it is fresh and I use it regularly.  

It looks nice....soups are all together...beans....ketchup & mustard all found and together LOL!  When you look inside it doesn't look like a bomb went off in there Woman LOL

@tsavorite - It sounds like you are off to a great start in the pantry. I love it when my pantry is organized. I know I could make better use of my space, get some risers for my canned goods, etc. but I just have never done it. I'm not really good at that sort of thing. 

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Hi Everyone.  Just stopping in to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July!  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!  

@aprilskies - Hello! I haven't seen you around in ages! How nice to see you! Hope all is well with you. 

@rnmom All is well, thank you! I have missed being here and it is nice to see everyone again.  It just has been busy all around and I have not been full of sunshine so I thought I would spare everyone. 🤣

To relieve some stress I have been doing some decluttering and it has felt good.  I can’t remember everything now but some big things have just been pots and pans I didn’t use or just weren’t good because of the quality and the one thing I am most happy about is the Gazelle exercise machine,  I just  didn’t have the room for it so it was folded up in a corner and it had to go.  I put it out and someone took it.  I am thankful someone will get some use out of it and I no longer have to look at it. 

The interesting part is that I just didn’t have time to dedicate to decluttering but pulling things here and there as I came across them really built up a pile. It was slow but steady and that is okay as I can get hasty when I get in the mode and I didn’t regret what I was getting rid of. Not that I have many regrets at all but a few over the years.  

However, I have been bringing too much in and need to pull that back a little. It has been hard.  So the balance of decluttering vs bringing in isn’t balanced. 

This thread is so inspiring. I appreciate all that post here. 

@aprilskies - I can totally relate to everything you're saying. I haven't been a ray of sunshine much myself either and we've been super busy, for months and months now it seems. It just doesn't seem to slow down much around here, ever. This is one of the few threads I try to keep up on. 

How nice that the gazelle is gone! I know how much room those bit items can take up.

Sometimes we don't have to declutter an entire space all at once to see a difference, I often will pull an item here and there as I stumble on it, usually if I'm putting something else away I'll see something that can go.

Just the other day I was hanging up a coat in the coat closet and pulled out a hoodie that everyone has outgrown and tossed it. It was too stained to donate. So I didn't declutter the whole closet, but still got rid of something that no one will use. 

I'm so glad you took the time to post, I hope to see you around here more, as time permits of course!

Respected Contributor

@amyb - Summer is very fleeting here too, it always goes by so fast! I'd love to get out of here and move somewhere where the weather is a little more temperate. I get so sick of being cooped up inside for so many months, I hate the cold. 

Respected Contributor

We got the last of the garage organized and tossed a few things that weren't nice enough to donate: a pair of boots, a pair of shoes, a baseball cap, a winter sled, a tiki torch, a ripped up tarp, a can of bug spray with just a scrap left in it. It's nice and neat now. Dirty, but neat. Living out in the country I just can't keep it clean the way I would like. That's why I don't like storing lots of stuff out there, everything just gets covered in dirt.

I also tossed a spray bottle that didn't spray well, a dinner plate with a crack in it, a hoodie that the kids outgrew and was too stained to donate. 

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@amyb - Summer is very fleeting here too, it always goes by so fast! I'd love to get out of here and move somewhere where the weather is a little more temperate. I get so sick of being cooped up inside for so many months, I hate the cold. 

Same here, same here! Hate being cooped up, also, for so many months, and I just don't love the winter or cold at all. Short, darker days, heavy clothes, ugh, none of it!

I'm in CT, in a shoreline community...it's beautiful here in spring, summer, and fall...but come first week of November, it's gray and dreary and winter goes on for 5-6 months...and I hate that.

We're going to try to escape for some of it in Jan/Feb this year. (We say that every year, but hopefully will make it happen this year!!) Got to start looking; if we don't find something and book soon, all the good ones are gone by now! But we're open to anything "not HERE!", so we should find something.

Much as CT has it's beauty and good points, I too would like to be somewhere with less winter at some point!! Plus, much too expensive to retire here. 😕 That is, unless you are fabulously wealthy, which, many are!

Honored Contributor

spouse has been in hospital for the past week ( so quiet and peaceful)  I took advantage of ME time.  No time schedules, no cooking, and I can clean anytime I want (when he's here he complains about everything and the noise)  and put the radio on and just enjoy my time.  I found myself cleaning closets out at 1 AM...

I cleaned out my closet embarrassed at the amount of clothing with tags, won't see a size 14 again (only to dream) and shoes I bought that are uncomfortable or didn't like still in boxes. I donated the shoes to the County program for young adults (2 Good Souls) since they were new and I had boxes.  The clothing went to Vets.

Then I finally decided to sell and donate most of my unused baking, lock and locks, temptations, entertaining pieces and dishes.  The problem with using FB Marketplace is they say they're coming for pick up OR meeting you then don't show so I finally got tired of that and dropped off to Goodwill.

Also, I donated sheets and old towels to the SPCA .

I feel like the clutter is finally getting emptied around here.

Wish I could really disengage myself from seasonal decor as I have way to much.  (That is my next serious goal!).

It's been eye opening how much stuff surrounds me still eventhough I declutter (in my mind) -- next purge is food AND baking supplies over 6 months old in pantry.  What's usuable will go to Community Food Bank and baking stuff will be tossed.  I don't bake much anymore.  

I am enjoying ME time since I get very little when he's here.

have a great weekend!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's sounds like you did a good job. @homedecor1 Don't beat up on yourself about the clothes with tags still on them. I used to do this. Now I just watch what I buy, and if by chance I do this again; I just donate or wear around the house and I don't feel so bad. 

Last year I did our annual flea market for the first time. It's in October. Before I realized I was going to participate; I got rid of a lot of clothing and then wished I had held them and tried selling there. I have a lot less clothes this season. I've been watching my purchases a little more.

I bragged on this thread about how well I did there. Most  things that weren't sold were not brought back home. My husband was right. He said  I should sell the clothes  and everything else for a dollar, especially if they're not moving. I should have done that at about 3 pm because it's over @ 5. I ended up putting all the unsold clothing in a donation bin that they have there. I was just glad not to lug them home.

The other day I started bagging clothing and purses that need to go. Then I remembered the flea market. The only problem is; there really is no room in my apartment to hold things until October. I did anyway; but it's driving me crazy, knowing I am holding instead of de cluttering. 

You're damned if you do....you know the rest.

Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

Same here, same here! Hate being cooped up, also, for so many months, and I just don't love the winter or cold at all. Short, darker days, heavy clothes, ugh, none of it!

I'm in CT, in a shoreline community...it's beautiful here in spring, summer, and fall...but come first week of November, it's gray and dreary and winter goes on for 5-6 months...and I hate that.

We're going to try to escape for some of it in Jan/Feb this year. (We say that every year, but hopefully will make it happen this year!!) Got to start looking; if we don't find something and book soon, all the good ones are gone by now! But we're open to anything "not HERE!", so we should find something.

Much as CT has it's beauty and good points, I too would like to be somewhere with less winter at some point!! Plus, much too expensive to retire here. 😕 That is, unless you are fabulously wealthy, which, many are!

@amyb - Yep, your weather sounds like mine. I'm in Michigan, land of the endless winter.