Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 - I'm sorry to hear that your hubby is in the hospital, but I'm also glad that you are getting some "me" time. We all need that. My hubby is a teacher so I used to live for back to school so that I could have a day or two a week to myself without him or the kids. 

Now that the kids are older it's not as big of a deal, they are often off doing their own thing, and hubby has hobbies too. But I totally get it. Time just to yourself to do what ever you want to do can be crucial to a person's mental health. And I still look forward to back to school Smiley Happy

But it sounds like you are doing an awesome job getting things done while you can, that must feel awesome! Good job!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KBEANS wrote:

It's sounds like you did a good job. @homedecor1 Don't beat up on yourself about the clothes with tags still on them. I used to do this. Now I just watch what I buy, and if by chance I do this again; I just donate or wear around the house and I don't feel so bad. 

Last year I did our annual flea market for the first time. It's in October. Before I realized I was going to participate; I got rid of a lot of clothing and then wished I had held them and tried selling there. I have a lot less clothes this season. I've been watching my purchases a little more.

I bragged on this thread about how well I did there. Most  things that weren't sold were not brought back home. My husband was right. He said  I should sell the clothes  and everything else for a dollar, especially if they're not moving. I should have done that at about 3 pm because it's over @ 5. I ended up putting all the unsold clothing in a donation bin that they have there. I was just glad not to lug them home.

The other day I started bagging clothing and purses that need to go. Then I remembered the flea market. The only problem is; there really is no room in my apartment to hold things until October. I did anyway; but it's driving me crazy, knowing I am holding instead of de cluttering. 

You're damned if you do....you know the rest.

@KBEANS - I don't like holding onto things for months waiting to donate for a particular event or a particular season either. Maybe if I was taking items to consigment and knew that I might make some money off of it by waiting, but not just to donate. 

Hopefully you will make some money if you wait to sell it at the flea market, so at least it will be worth holding ont o. You can make a mental note and see if it's worth waiting for and storing stuff for next year. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all & Happy Monday~hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I woke up on a tear this morning. Did a deep clean of my kitchen, pulling all ceramics and such off the counter, that get dusty, and ran everything through the dish washer. I wipe counters etc, all the time, but rarely pull everything off the counters and deep clean, so I did. Decluttered "fridge magnet" things....yes....I'm still that person, with a white fridge and though I contemplate trying a bare fridge one day....I always look at the pics of loved ones, magnets from favorite trips, words of wisdom I read and get re-inspired from always....and once again decide...I'm JUST "that girl" who wants those talismans around me. I like words and images, especially ones that bring me memories or inspiration...more than a bare, decluttered fridge. BUT I took off some things no longer needed and really neatened it up!

Then I finally did the DEED I'd avoided until losing some pandemic poundage (still have about 7 more lbs I'd like to lose!)...tried on ALL the JEANS! (😱)...most fit fine...I'm between two sizes and 5 lbs will make the lower size fit better...#workinprogress.  But I put two pairs I no longer want in a donation/consignment bag I started.

Also added two fashion jewelry pieces to be donated or consigned. And a little manicure set with case. I had two (from one of those old QVC set of 3's!) 

Finally tossed my old winter robe...was one of Oprah's favorite things in 2005!! I loved it, it wasn't cheap...but it's just looking ragged now, and never gets quite clean anymore no matter how I wash it. I don't need to be wearing anything that makes ME feel "ragged!" Before winter comes I'll have to search out a nice new one. Knowing me...that'll happen when it's already December and I'm scrambling to find one! lol. (update, Yikes...looked these up online, they're now $158.00...well, 17 years, I guess I got my money's worth, but not sure I'll get one of those again...Kashwere.)

Tossed a white top I had in duplicate, and this one has a spot I can't get off~it's soft cotton though, will use for washing/waxing cars.

Also, got rid of any recent delivery bags/boxes from items I now know I'm keeping.

On another note....found out this morning I was exposed to someone yesterday, hugged and sitting next to in a restaurant, who then went home, wasn't feeling well, and tested positive for Covid! Ugh! She just returned from Italy. BF's daughter, not just anyone...never dreamed they might be in questionable shape. 

I bring this up because....I did today what I always do when stressed....started cleaning closets!! Hence my decluttering.

I've been so careful this far and so lucky not to have gotten Covid...EVERYone I know, practically, has gotten it. And I've lost loved ones too...so, I'm hoping & praying for the best for both me and bf.

Meanwhile....will keep my mind on decluttering today!!

Have a good day, everyone!

**UPDATE: Cleaned out the fridge too, was away a few wks, so while I had made sure I used up most things and didn't shop before I left, a few things sat there! Fridge up to date now!

Ok this is way too long already~that's it for today!

(I think I need a nap! lol)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all!

Continuing yesterday's process...

I have 3 piles going...consignment bag with  3 clothing items so far, plus accessories.

A donate bag

And a toss pile...along with that old robe and stained top from yesterday, added 3 more clothing items, beyond their life, to toss.

Going to continue to go through everywhere and toss or donate along the way today.

Especially going to focus in upstairs walk in closet, which still houses too many old momentos, and some of mom's things I just might be ready to let go of now. I have so many precious things of hers, plus good jewelry, and so many cards etc...I don't need as many of her decorative items as I still have. I do display a few, and I also use a lot of her Polish stoneware, bakers and other ceramic items that I love. 

Don't want to make another "ginormous" post again, so I'll end it there~Have a good day, and wish me luck...gotta do this while "in this mood!" 😉

Honored Contributor

Another pair of shoes to donate, they now hurt my feet, ugh. Also, from the kitchen, a mandoline, which I have replaced with one that is safer to use. I was always very cautious with the old one thinking I was going to slice my fingers right off, lol. That's all I can think of for right now, but there may be a few other small items tossed in the trash, as always.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I was disappointed to find that the trash pick up wouldn't take the worn tire from my hubby's motorcycle. He said we probably have to wait for a recycle event. Except I have no idea when that might be. I don't know where hubby stashed it for now, but I'm not thrilled that it's just sitting here. 

I started a new donate area with one copper pan that we don't care for and an automatic sauce pot stirrer thingy. We picked it up on a whim from a garage sale for $1 and I just don't want it taking up space in my pantry. We haven't had it long, but haven't used it and decided not to mess with it. What was I thinking? 

Tossed: a pair of my son's ripped out jeans, a vacuum cleaner that doesn't work well (already purchased a replacement) and  yet another sock. 

Hubby has just started helping his parents do some cleaning/tossing in their garage/barn. They are definitely borderline hoarders so I'm surprised they're letting him. Maybe as they're getting older they're finally realizing that they can't take all this junk with them. He said he brought home an old truck transmission and put it out to the end of the road, I think someone picked that up yesterday. I'm not aware of anything else he brought home from there, thank goodness.

I usually stay out of any of that stuff because they're not my parents and they're pretty possessive about their "stuff" but we're going over there to do some other things today so we might work a bit more in there. Will be curious to see it. I don't usually even venture into most of their spaces.

Honored Contributor

Not much from me lately.

I took 2 pairs of shoes to consignment the other day and have another pair to take them next time I go.  I have also taken them a few small household items.

I have 2 very small bags to go to Goodwill.  Just some miscellaneous things and a shirt.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Weekend, all~

@rnmom Our "refuse center" (ie. garbage dump)...has an area to drop off recycled tires, plus you can drop off any large items not usually picked up at your regular garbage pickup. They're only minutes from me in my town, so if yours is convenient, you may think of that for your husband's old tire, instead of waiting for some unknown future pickup. 

On another note...nothing can "inspire" one to keep up on clutter and over-buying "things, things, more things" than cleaning out a parent's home! Everyone goes through it...either with their parents or at a certain age, themselves!

As for me...I slowed down since my "Monday tear"...but got some things done this week. Nothing that shows much on the outside, as these things were in closets or drawers, but still good to toss more. Threw out the clothing I spoke of earlier, about 4 items. Still have the consignment bag in a closet, want to add more. Same with donate bag. Will give it another week then get rid of them.

I'm disappointed in my "progress" in that upstairs walk-in I spoke of with mom's things...thought I'd let go of a big box that houses some holiday wreaths & some of her holiday decor. Not so much a ton of things, but they're larger items. They're things I use & still want, including a pretty Christmas wreath mom made me. Some other chotchkes I really don't need, but can't seem to part with yet, as she used to decorate with them. It's my way of having her here with us still at Christmas...she loved celebrating with us, having me come down and help her decorate etc. So, for now, they stay. Just wish I could consolidate how they're stored; that box is long & big (a Valerie decorative cardboard box mom once bought!) There's probably a better way, but didn't feel like wrapping my mind around it right now. It's tucked in a corner of that walk-in, just fine.  

I only let go of a few decorative items up there, & went through the chest my maternal grandpa, a wood refinisher, made my mom as a baby. Among other items there are some papers in there of hers, I shredded what I don't need anymore. I keep taxes for 7 years, and she's only been gone two, so I shredded the old years. Don't laugh...she got audited the year she died, after she was gone!! It was 2020, and VERY hard to get ANYone at the IRS, so my accountant had to write a few letters....over a year later they filed her taxes. IRS never responded on the "audit" (which she was just a random number that got chosen, it was not for anything wrong she did)... her refund finally came a year and a half later! Ugh...that year. 😖

On a good news front...so far no symptoms so, though they say you can still get symptoms up to 2 wks after being exposed, I'm hoping we both dodged that bullet!! 🙏

That's all from me...feel like there's still so much I can rid myself of...will enjoy the weekend and see what else I can do this week.

Have a good weekend all! 😎⛱☀️

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry...I know my posts are blindingly long!! I need to work on that! (I try to edit!! 🤷‍♀️)

Respected Contributor

I glanced around at our apartment today and was pretty impressed with it's appearance. If I were to have a pop in; I wouldn't even have to run around tossing things in the closet before I open the door! 

Now I call that progress.