Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

I've heard from several people that donation centers are either stuffed full or aren't taking donations at all. This dumbfounds me. Where I am at we still have lots of businesses closed, a ton of people are not able to work and many, many small businesses are shut for good. I would think that now, more than ever, there would be an overabundance of people that could get good use out of gently used items, but the thrift stores aren't accepting them. Boggles my mind. 

Honored Contributor

While I haven't been actively working on decluttering, I have continued to find a few items to dispose of, i.e. a sponge mop that I use to wash walls and a sponge used for the same purpose were put into the garbage this week, 2 tops that I had gotten paint on while painting walls (I'm a messy painter, lol) several of hubbies socks with holes, I made a determined effort to use up odds and ends of Christmas wrapping paper so that is all gone now. The tops I cut up to use for rags, everything else was put into the trash.
Going forward into the new year, I don't foresee much actual major decluttering, just more of the same ongoing, keeping up with things as I run across them. I will of course find "pockets" they need attention, I'm sure.
I will continue to read and participate in this forum topic, so yes I will be looking for it.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

A friend has a large garage sale every year....I have been putting things worth selling into boxes and will mark and sort after the holidays. While putting away Chritmas next week, I will go thru the boxes again and purge what I don't like or won't use again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of our clothing bins now have signs that they are open again.  For some time, they were not accepting donations.  I don't know whether thrift stores are open, I would assume so.

My decluttering has slowly sputtered to a halt.  I have paperwork, which hardly counts, but that is just about all I am working on right now.  I do make sure the recyling bins are full, so at least I am purging the shipping material that comes in, boxes, etc.  

I did donate a few items to a friend recently, so that was helpful.

Honored Contributor

Some sort of minimalist site popped up on my Facebook yesterday. I took her 8 question test, and while not a minimalist, I certainly have things under control. In January, I'll go through a room at a time and see what needs to be discarded. Yesterday I found a huge Tupperware bowl that I used when making salads for family gatherings and "pig outs" at work. I doubt I'll ever be making that much food again so I should pass it on.

Respected Contributor

Tomorrow I will be delivering my mother's china to my brother, who will store it until his daughter (mom's only grandaughter) has a place to put it. She wants it, but currently lives in a tiny apartment. I want the boxes out of my house, so my brother--who lives alone--agreed to take it. Hooray!

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG I like the idea of going through one room at a time.  That might be a good way for me to break down the task of purging.  Sometimes it's overwhelming to me.

Honored Contributor

Just back to wish everyone a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays. I do hope the season is kind to you all, as strange as this entire year has been. Hopefully, the new year will see some improvement, however small it may be for a while yet.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I tried to donate tree and other items and Goodwill worker said they are stuffed with holiday items and refused them. Said come back this summer.

I have a tub of Jim Shore Items I would like to sell but who has money nowadays?

@traveler Maybe you can, or someone can help you post some of your items

on Marketplace in Facebook. Some of my items that I am not donating and they

are brand are new boots, shoes, jewelry with tags and I put on there. It's just a thought and ts better to try than have the unwanted items just sitting collecting dust.

Of course, all my items have not sold. But one or two things definitely make

me glad to make a few bucks than no $ at all. I definitely am not making big

money on them, I just want them to sell and gain a little bit back. Good Luck

with whatever you decide.

That's too bad you could not even donate your things.  How about them telling

you to bring the stuff back next summer? Wow. I was just in my Goodwill late

last week and all the Christmas was 50% off and not much was there. I found this wooden sled that I am going to add some decorations to and make it more Christmas like.Smiley Happy

P.S. The sled picture turned out huge, it is smaller than it appears.

20201221_101847.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp - Absolutely paperwork counts! I detest paperwork, filing, sorting, shredding, etc and I put it off until I have several piles to go thru. It accumulates quickly so keeping up on that is an accomplishement in itself.