Esteemed Contributor

Re: Combination Desk and TV Unit

@Tigriss wrote:
You may also try buYing separate pieces like a table with file units underneath and shelving above for the other stuff. A 6 foot table would be plenty big enough. You can attach fabric to hide the files like a skirt. A simple pine table can be stained or painted any color. Ti is what I have with some file boxes I picked up at hobby lobby for my files and shelves above for books and dvds. I built the table with my father out of stain grade pine and just used oil to seal it. I can't remember what oil, but we built it when I first moved into my place after college along with the shelves and most closet shelving during my first spring break from teaching, but back then my monitor was those horrible, giant cubes. I'm much happier with my laptop and wide format printer!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tigriss...You are definitely much more of a DIY person than I am and very creative...I love interior decorating and browsing through Better Homes & Garden magazines for ideas...then shopping around for what I am looking for, but that's as far as it goes...lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

lolakimono....I love those bundles from Sauder...That is exactly what I am looking for...We have a file cabinet from Go Furniture which carries the Sauder line...My husband had to put it together, but it was no problem for him and it has held up very well.

I'm definitely heading there this week to check out their units!...Thanks so much for posting those pictures!

Honored Contributor

Our den has very odd shaped walls with weird angles( half an octagon shape) so I had difficulty getting a desk for in there. ultimately I bought 3 wooden file cabinets, and had a custom cut piece of glass made for the desktop. Set the glass on the 3 file cabinets as legs - it fits perfectly against the wall as it was custom cut to the wall. We hung our TV on the wall over the desk. Put the large desk top computer off to the left side. For the forth "leg" I purchased a piece that is the same height as the file cabinets but a little wider. It holds the printer and a few other pieces like his scanner. Everything else is either in the closet or in one of the file cabinets.It looks nice and is 100% practical. Easy to clean too. We put 2 recliners that have arms you can open to hold things like remotes and glasses placed acrposs the room from the TV. One floor lamp and our very small, odd shaped room is complete.

Honored Contributor

Our den has very odd shaped walls with weird angles( half an octagon shape) so I had difficulty getting a desk for in there. ultimately I bought 3 wooden file cabinets, and had a custom cut piece of glass made for the desktop. Set the glass on the 3 file cabinets as legs - it fits perfectly against the wall as it was custom cut to the wall. We hung our TV on the wall over the desk. Put the large desk top computer off to the left side. For the forth "leg" I purchased a piece that is the same height as the file cabinets but a little wider. It holds the printer and a few other pieces like his scanner. Everything else is either in the closet or in one of the file cabinets.It looks nice and is 100% practical. Easy to clean too. We put 2 recliners that have arms you can open to hold things like remotes and glasses placed acrposs the room from the TV. One floor lamp and our very small, odd shaped room is complete. We got the file cabinets and shelf from OFFICE DEPOT.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Our den has very odd shaped walls with weird angles( half an octagon shape) so I had difficulty getting a desk for in there. ultimately I bought 3 wooden file cabinets, and had a custom cut piece of glass made for the desktop. Set the glass on the 3 file cabinets as legs - it fits perfectly against the wall as it was custom cut to the wall. We hung our TV on the wall over the desk. Put the large desk top computer off to the left side. For the forth "leg" I purchased a piece that is the same height as the file cabinets but a little wider. It holds the printer and a few other pieces like his scanner. Everything else is either in the closet or in one of the file cabinets.It looks nice and is 100% practical. Easy to clean too. We put 2 recliners that have arms you can open to hold things like remotes and glasses placed acrposs the room from the TV. One floor lamp and our very small, odd shaped room is complete. We got the file cabinets and shelf from OFFICE DEPOT.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

151949...That sounds really nice and perfect for your "very small, odd shaped room"...Putting your TV on the wall over the desk works perfectly, as it opened up your room more to avoid a cluttered look...It sounds very cozy!...Great job!

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@151949 wrote:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

151949...That sounds really nice and perfect for your "very small, odd shaped room"...Putting your TV on the wall over the desk works perfectly, as it opened up your room more to avoid a cluttered look...It sounds very cozy!...Great job!

Getting the piece of glass amde was pricey but in the end it was a total bargain as we use that room every day.