Respected Contributor

Cleaning with Dawn

[ Edited ]

i have been using shout out for years and cooking oil stains dont allways come out. i started  pretreating oil stains with dawn and leaving them over night then washing clothes in morning. stains come out really well. if colored clothes i wash with warm water and white clothes with hot water. just thought i would pass this tip along everyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning vinegar and Dawn

That's a good idea.

I pretreat my stains as soon as i take off the item and drop it in the laundry room.

Otherwise, on wash day, I forget!

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1

Do you use cleaning vinegar also?

Honored Contributor

Well, the commercial says it works.  So now you say it works.  That's good to know.  I might get a small bottle just for stains.

I am a total slob when I eat (looks like a 2 year old ate there).  I'll get some for all of my accidents!

Honored Contributor

So do you just mix it half and half then put it in something?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66....dh usually manages to spill something when he eats!  I carry a tide stain stick for emergencies when we are not home.

Esteemed Contributor

I almost always use blue Dawn for stains.  We used it at the bird rescue and I think if it can get oil off of birds, it can do just about everything.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Pooky1. My hubby and I cannot seem to eat without making a mess, this will come in handy

Respected Contributor

Another trick for oil stains in clothing, is to use baby or talcum powder. It absorbs the oil. Then I usually pre-treat with Shout. I use the vinegar and Dawn to clean my shower floor.

Honored Contributor

I also use Dawn on grease stains on clothing. Never fails when I'm cooking or eating I get some kind of stain on my shirt. I use Dawn right away & it's gone. DH says I should wear an apron while cooking & a bib while eating. LOL!!!

I have used it on stains DH had on clothing that I did not know about until it came out of the dryer. After a couple of washes the stains were gone.