Super Contributor

Re: Changing Furnace Filters

It may depend upon what type of filters you use.  I was told by the company who installed my furnace a couple of years ago, and also the technician who services hvac spring and fall to use the cheapest filters available and to change them every two to three months.

Valued Contributor

I change mine every three months. I use the 3M filters. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depending on the quality of the filter, changing every three to four months seems adequate. Of course they want you to change them more often so you can buy more of them... Helps their bottom line but doesn't do much for yours...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

We use the inexpensive filters and change them every 4-6 weeks. Our furnace runs from September or October until May. It’s actually still running but thankfully not as much. Hoping for a warm up soon. 

Honored Contributor

My thermostat tells me when it's time to change the filter.  It's based on the number of hours the fan has run, including both furnace and a/c.

Respected Contributor

We change ours once a year. We had been changing them every 6 months, but the person who installed our furnace told us we could go to changing it annually. 

Honored Contributor

I use to change mine a lot, at least every 2-3 months when I got the inexpensive ones.

I recently am getting one that says it needs to be changed once a year!

I find that hard to believe but I'm trying it and I do vacuum it every once in awhile. I'm glad to see someone else has a once a year.

Mine is in the ceiling now so I have to stand on a ladder! Whoever heard of putting a filter in the ceiling!Robot FrustratedRobot surprised

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I use to change mine a lot, at least every 2-3 months when I got the inexpensive ones.

I recently am getting one that says it needs to be changed once a year!

I find that hard to believe but I'm trying it and I do vacuum it every once in awhile. I'm glad to see someone else has a once a year.

Mine is in the ceiling now so I have to stand on a ladder! Whoever heard of putting a filter in the ceiling!Robot FrustratedRobot surprised

lol, it's in the ceiling because in the summer that is where the hot air is and the air is recycling.  My filter on 2nd floor is in the Ceiling because that air goes back to the air circulator in my attic and all the duct work is right above it.  

Respected Contributor

I change the 20" X 30" filter in my air return about every 3 months.  I buy good quality Filtrete 2200 filters when Costco has them on sale for $29.99 for a 3 pack.  The return is in the ceiling in my hall, so I write the date I changed it in large numbers on the edge of the bottom of the filter in Sharpie so I can see the date looking up when I stand in my hall.  The current filter was put in on 3-7-20 & is looking like it will need to be changed soon, but living in AZ my AC has been running for a month or so already.

Esteemed Contributor

Every two months here. I notice dust settles more when we try to go three months.