Honored Contributor

I’m still undecided about this. I kind of like of it, but it also reminds me a bit of school rooms. I think it works in some settings - dining rooms, family rooms, offices. I’m not sure about living rooms. I would definitely not want maps in my bedrooms. 

What do you think? Here are a few examples. 

4C09C744-B73B-4B89-9117-EFF479CF3B8C.jpeg

06BD5978-982E-404A-A900-89A9700E47B6.jpeg

0A4AF6DD-BA1F-4A0A-AA2D-F16679D6B5B1.jpeg

0E35B52F-0E80-47A2-9D35-CBD54BF2C3DC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I think it is fine for a home office or den or basement, especially if the maps are of interest to you, my DH was a geography teacher so definitely his thing. He has some hanging in his home office. 

Honored Contributor

No, to all of them.  We do have a world map that we use push pins on to highlight the places we've been around the world displayed in a prominent place,

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma 

I enjoy maps in decor, but only those limited to areas of interest to me...not just maps in general.

As an example, in our back entrance hall, I found wallpaper that was a copy of an antique map of Maryland, Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay area.  We coupled it with some coordinating trim and a stripe below.  It is one of my favorite areas of our home, even thought it is a back halway.

We also have several prints of skipjacks and the Arc and Dove....all unique to Maryland.

I have a few other smaller map prints around my home, but they are accent pieces.

We also have a few lighthouses of the Bay area, even though our interior is Victorian, not nautical.

Honored Contributor

Done well, it's a rarefied and "old school" look.  I've always LOVED geography and maps, the "well-traveled" look.  Love vintage maps in old frames.  The only one I have is an antique map of southern Ontario, Canada (which ironically, I got in an antique store in New Orleans).

I had it framed and matted, and it looks great.  I haven't had it up for a while-- there's a spot in my living room where I hang a moody fall tree landscape, and I alternate that with the framed map.  The sepia tones look good against robin's egg walls.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting. I love it! Would work very well with my interests. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There used to be a wonderful shop in London that just did maps, all maps all the time.  My dad's credit card obviously had a larger limit and we used to stop by.

The most favorite gift of all time is a small, colored map of the Middle East from the 1500s.  

Honored Contributor

I like them in a library room in the house, I think they make it cozy and comfy.  Add a couple of globes.

Of the pictures I like the first one best.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

The maps go in these rooms. They look ok. For me no. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a map nerd, but the living room feels a bit sterile with the maps. Will say -- we rented a VRBO house with creative, framed maps of the area posted in entryway. Loved it -- very helpful for visitors. But in living spaces -- no living rooms.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau