Honored Contributor

My mother always had a map of the US available that I remember so I have always loved to see all the states and where they are.

I like a map that means something to me, a favorite place that I know and love, not just random old maps as a decoration, and that have no meaning to me. That makes me feel lonely and oldRobot Sad

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

No looks like business office, global corporation, ect, very ice cold.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it.  I think framed maps can be a nice edition to any decor.  I would enjoy something local to me of course, they seem to have a certain character.  I have a jigsaw puzzle on order of the US National parks.  My adult kids are big puzzle makers, they call it their "therapy".   They will make it for me and I will buy a frame for it.  Most likely will hang in the den for our enjoyment.  Me and hubby have visited many of the National parks and having been to many places in the world, some of these parks were our best vacations.

Trusted Contributor

...and that store in London is still there Still Raining. It's in Covent Garden!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

The rooms are done fery well.  I'm just not fond of maps.

Honored Contributor

I like all of the rooms. I am drawn to maps and globes. I have both in my home.

We have a framed map of the world that is about 60 years old. My globe is the one my parents bought me when I was in 3rd grade...just a few years agoWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Decorating with Maps?

[ Edited ]

It all depends on the individual and/or family.

I majored in geography in college, so always have a soft spot for maps. On the other hand, I don't have a globe or a wall map at home.  I used to have a wall map of the world in my office when I was working. But that was because we represented clients from all around the world and I actually used it.

I do think the photos you chose are attractive examples of what is possible, @wilma.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I kind of like them - especially ones in picture #1.

We have a very large bathroom with corner spa tub and I can see some maps on one of the walls being great to peruse while soaking I would like that.  Thinking I might give it a try.

Thankyou for idea.

Esteemed Contributor

I like this concept but only for a library, den, office, etc.  I think it looks out of place in a dining room as pictured above.  Also, if you've ever seen Flea Market Flip on HGTV, they will sometimes use maps on small table tops, entryway tables, etc.   

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a neat idea for people who travel or for a play room. When my son was younger, I had some framed for his play room and we'd play games with the maps.  I'd give him a dry/erase marker and tell him to circle a country east of ________ or put an "x" on ________.  So many wonderful memories and it really helped him learn geography.

Now those maps are in my classroom.  When we read about characters and places, we put a sticky note on the setting locations.  It's surprising how many students can't locate various places around the world.  Name a country and many can't even say which continent it's on.  So, I vote yes for decorating with maps, especially if there are youngs ones at home.