Trusted Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fans - Do You Have One/Like It ??

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I also have them in every room....and they make a difference, especially on hot days.

I remember on some of the home decorating shows....the Designers HATED them and always took them down.......LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was thinking of that, too.  On the earlier Trading Spaces, many of the homeowners were adamant about their ceiling fans staying. And sure enough, they’d get taken down. I would not want to be without my ceiling fans. They make an immense difference and even add to the decor of the room. When it’s cold and our fireplace is on, the fan does a nice job of bringing that warm air down and circulating it. 

Respected Contributor

Why do designers not like ceiling fans? All of ousr look really nice and they provide a useful service. But then I don't care for a lot of the things designers do on HGTV. I don't like sinks or stovetops on the kitchen island, open shelving in the kitchen, pedestal sinks, etc.

Respected Contributor

It's almost impossible to find a home in my area that doesn't have ceiling fans in the bedrooms and living rooms. Some even have them on the porch.

They do make a difference. I have the kind with a light fixture. On hot days, I will turn the light portion off and just run the fan. It enables to me leave my thermostat set a few degrees higher.

Most fans come with a "reverse" swtich that you can flip in the winter to help circulate the heat around the room, as well.

Respected Contributor

I must be the only one who doesn't use our ceiling fans.  We had them installed in the bedrooms and living room when we built the house.

However, I don't think ours were really that great of quality and installed properly because they wobble and the noise bothers me.  It's been on my mind to purchase new ones.

We did have an automatic attic fan installed and a remote opening sky light/window which help to draw the heat out.

Respected Contributor

@Bri63  Can you tell me the manufacturer of the fan you pictured?  I like it very much and need one with a light for our master bedroom.

Respected Contributor

They do work to circulate air of both cold and hot. I use mine in the summer and winter and just all year. I also have several pedestal fans to circulate air around the house and keep the light bill down in the summer for cooling. The electric company will tell you that they don't really help and use more energy, but they do help greatly and actually decrease your overall energy usage in both the summer and winter months. Many people in more moderate summer climates are installing "whole house" fans...AKA attic fans. Older generations will know what an attic fan is, this new eco friendly/tiny house movement people are calling it a whole house fan. It works the same way if it is installed in the attic or in the side wall. It pulls the air through the house. In places where the summer really only reaches the 80s for a few weeks, it is a doable thing for seriously cut electric bills. They help down here for a few months of the year in our "fall" and "spring" times, but those periods are maybe 8 weeks all year even in the middle of winter things can warm into the 70s and 80s like it did this year in February but temps dropped in March so things yo yoed for us in the southeast.
Honored Contributor

I am in WV, and cannot imagine living in a house that didn’t have ceiling fans.   Several of ours run 24/7.   

Esteemed Contributor

We have them....i hate them.....others love them

Respected Contributor

Thank you to everyone!!! Here is my issue where I live.... my pitch/roof line and inside ceilings, go up at an angle... let me see if I can show u...

One side of my structure is only 5 feet high, then proceeds to go UP, very high (at least 20 feet I think).... The highest point (where my fan will go) is at the highest part. 

My light fixture there now, hangs down with a 3+ foot chain. It's attached at an angle.

It's still very high up for me to reach and I do have a light switch for turning it on/off. 

This fixture would be removed and my FAN w/ lights, would replace it. SEE BELOW.

WHERE FAN WOULD GO.jpg

I have no attic.... so cannot add there. 

Here is one from Amazon I looked at but it still looks too short for my high ceiling pitch.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 4.15.54 PM.png

Maybe I should ask my electrician as he could pick one out

Gosh the homes you show are lovely... 

There is no insulation in my ceilings so the heat + humidity collect it all day. 

I have read your replies and I think I should give it a try!! - You are all so happy and enjoy them. Smiley Happy

You all brightened my day! THANK YOU

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Have 5 in several rooms. We use them all summer, couldn’t survive sleeping without it (night flashes). Get one! You’ll love it.