Respected Contributor

Ceiling Fans - Do You Have One/Like It ??

My interior gets so hot. I was thinking about putting in a ceiling fan. I heard they can 'pull up' the warm/hot air to cool things... 

Thought I'd ask before doing it. Do they work ? TIA

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Valued Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fans - Do You Have One/Like It ??

i have  2 fans one in my kitchen area the other in the dinette  where we eat they do wonders  i put the ac on in the kitchen then make the 2 fans blow down  nice andcool in winter i do the same pulls the hot air down   both have 3 speeds 

Honored Contributor

Maybe you're thinking of a whole house fan, @cbrite?  These are different in that they vent to the outside and reportedly work very well to help remove hotter interior air in summer. (I don't have one now but am hoping my next house will.)

Regular ceiling fans (with no outside vent) may have a switch that allows the rotation to switch directions.  One direction pulls air up and the other pushes it down.  For summer, counter-clockwise so the air is pushed down.  Vice versa in winter.

I have one fan in my kitchen that only blows down so I use it to great effect in summer.  I have another upstairs that rotates in either direction but since I'm hardly ever up there, I couldn't tell you from personal experience whether it does what it's supposed to in winter.  The normal heater works well so I don't have use for that fan (which was there when I bought the house).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Yes!  I have them all over my house.  I keep the house on the warmer side in the summer .... 78-79.  When I'm feeling too warm, I just turn a fan on, and I'm comfortable.   (just a note... if I'm expecting company I'll drop the temperature down a degree or two to make sure that they are comfortable!  And also use the ceiling fans.)

Trusted Contributor

@cbriteI love mine. I have one in the living room and one in my bedroom. I don't think I could sleep without it. Like the circulation. 

The one in my bedroom has been running continuously for 15 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite - If you are speaking of regular ceiling fans, I have one in every room of my house. I run them all year - you just have to remember to switch the direction it goes for winter or summer.

If you are talking about a whole house fan, I had one in my former house. You can run them, however, if it is hot & humid outside, it will bring in hot moist air. If you are in an area where it cools down at night, a whole house fan can make your house comfortable.

You have to remember, the more windows you have open, the less breeze you will feel. If you have a sliding door, it will take a breeze away from a window.

Hope this helps - Riley1

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have two ceiling fans. Bedroom and living room. Plus, I have a fan like this in my ceiling that I turn on at night during the summer while my windows are open and that brings in cool air from the open windows and draws out the hot air through the attic. Between the two kinds of fans, my house is very comfortable year-round.

Whole house ceiling exhaust fan

download.jpg

In addition to this interior exhaust fan, I had a roof-top attic fan installed and that removes hot air from my attic space, keeping the heat from accumulating up there. That one is on a automatic thermostat so it doesn't run all the time, only when it gets hot up there. The temperature on the thermostat is adjustable.

Roof-top exhaust fan: (takes hot air out of the attic space only, about 24" diameter)

download.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Hunter 5 blade with a light kit in my dining room. It does have the switch to reverse the blades and I can turn off the lights, just run fan or lights alone.

I spent the $ on a Hunter for the quiet motor. Also consider if you want it operated from a wall switch.

Get a good electrical fan box for your ceiling. Only a few bucks extra to make sure the fan is supported.

Esteemed Contributor

One ceiling fan in the master bedroom to cool it off at night.  A/C works great but fan mixes it up.  Recommend all the fans you can afford.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one in every room except baths.  The one in my LR/DR combo has been running 24/7 for 20 years!

I use the ones in the other rooms as needed.  The AC guy said that running the fans keeps the air mixed so you don't have cool and hot spots in a house.  They make the AC more efficient!  That's a plus in FL.