Honored Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fans - Do You Have One/Like It ??

@Allegheny  They should run perfectly quietly , you shouldn't even realize they are on. The one in our bedroom is noisy and we are looking for a new one to replace it. 8 years old and we only turn it off to clean it, so it has earned it's retirement. I'm thinking I'd like to put the same one we have in our living room - with the night light that shines up on the ceiling.

Respected Contributor

@cbrite @BirkiLady

Oh goodness no, the fan pictured is not in my home.

It is from a company called Fanimation who has a wide variety of different styles of fan.  I am not sure if they do direct sales, but are available through various retailers.  I actually saw this offered on E-bay.  While looking around I did see other manufactures who offer this type of fan

I didn't review any performance specifications or do comparisons between this type and what we see traditionally.  When we decide to replace some of our fans I'll do the research then.

I don't get out and about much, so I'll use Google Images whenever I am searching.  Gives me a lot of ideas of what's available.  

Respected Contributor

@cbrite  It does have blades.  But it is small, but with today's newer products it may (or may not) operate at the same or higher efficiency as a different style.  I think they refer to these types of fans as enclosed ceiling fans.

enclosed-ceiling-fan-with-light-tremendous-elegant-25-lovely-cage-fans-lader-home-ideas-4.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

@cbrite @BirkiLady

Oh goodness no, the fan pictured is not in my home.

It is from a company called Fanimation who has a wide variety of different styles of fan.  I am not sure if they do direct sales, but are available through various retailers.  I actually saw this offered on E-bay.  While looking around I did see other manufactures who offer this type of fan

I didn't review any performance specifications or do comparisons between this type and what we see traditionally.  When we decide to replace some of our fans I'll do the research then.

I don't get out and about much, so I'll use Google Images whenever I am searching.  Gives me a lot of ideas of what's available.  

Image result for ceiling fan no lightMine looks like this. I have another one with lights on it. The one below, looks hard to clean,
Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite - Re: Ceiling Fans - I forgot to mention there is a formula online showing the drop (extension rod) you need in a room. I forgot how to figure it out, but if you google it, I'm sure you will find it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny  Thanks for setting me straight! What an improvement visually. Still not sure I could imagine having fan(s) blowing all of the time. I'm sure our local lighting and fixture company (which does have ceiling fans) would be able to help should I ever be interested in an enclosed ceiling fan for another (smaller) home in the future. Hopefully roof vents, automatic attic fans, along with lots of insulation and other well-built structures progress as energy efficiency continues to improve.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@cbrite  It does have blades.  But it is small, but with today's newer products it may (or may not) operate at the same or higher efficiency as a different style.  I think they refer to these types of fans as enclosed ceiling fans.

enclosed-ceiling-fan-with-light-tremendous-elegant-25-lovely-cage-fans-lader-home-ideas-4.jpg

I have to get these when I repaint my house.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

Most Floridians have ceiling fans throughout the house.  We have on in every room.  Helps circulate the air and making sleeping more comfortable.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.. I am going to give it a try.. at 3am here was so humid at over 87%.... I could have it 60 degrees 24/7 Smiley Very Happy and be happy as a clam!

...possible to move to Antarctica  🤔 ummm, no.

I really don't care how it looks.. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 2 and I use them in the summertime a lot.  I'd use them in the winter if I'd bought ones with remote controls bc there are high celings in this house and I'm not climbing up a ladder to reverse the fan blades.

ETA:  Look at the box before you buy one - they usually have guidelines as to how large a fan you need based on the room size and they also often on the back discuss the size rods you may need like someone up thread mentioned.  Sometimes the rods come in the box and sometimes you have to buy them - mine came with 2 size rods - one for normal install and longer ones for vaulted ceilings.