Respected Contributor

@Mombo1 

After 3 major additions and one kitchen gutting, I am not about to take out the horrible 1950's pink and mint green tiny floor tiles.  They are covered with wall to wall dark chocolate carpeting that gets steamed cleaned frequently.

It makes the pink tub and toilet look nicer.  ( It is the only room in the house that will stay in the 50's ! )

It's my personal bathroom....DH has his own.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@rms1954   I have a question about washing bathmats.  I  tried to wash mine twice. I have a full-sized 2 yr-old GE washing machine.

In each case, the mat caused the rinse&spin cycle not to work properly. 

I had to shut off the machine and lift the mat that was SOPPING WET and seemed to weigh a ton!  Then, I had to dry it on towels.  That took days!

I later read that it was very ill advised to use a home washer for bath mats.  Instead it was advised to go to a commercial washing machine place.  I have none of those in my area.

As a result, I VACUUM my bathroom every week to get the dust out and leave it at that.

I'd love to know how you wash your bath mat.

Respected Contributor

For some odd reason when we moved into our home 9 years ago, my cat would regularly pee on our bathmats.  Never anywhere else in the house, just the bathmats.  So we now we have teak mats. 

Super Contributor

I remove my bath rugs for the summer months because it is easier to clean the tile floors and I actually like walking on the cool tile.  For the showers/tubs, we use bath mats that get washed weekly.  We shower with mats down but drape them over tubs to dry.  Come Fall,  bath rugs will go back down since our unheated  garage is under the bathrooms.  

Trusted Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@rms1954   I have a question about washing bathmats.  I  tried to wash mine twice. I have a full-sized 2 yr-old GE washing machine.

In each case, the mat caused the rinse&spin cycle not to work properly. 

I had to shut off the machine and lift the mat that was SOPPING WET and seemed to weigh a ton!  Then, I had to dry it on towels.  That took days!

I later read that it was very ill advised to use a home washer for bath mats.  Instead it was advised to go to a commercial washing machine place.  I have none of those in my area.

As a result, I VACUUM my bathroom every week to get the dust out and leave it at that.

I'd love to know how you wash your bath mat.

I have a 2 year old GE top loader, and a 22" X 60" bath mat. I wash the mat using the bulky items cycle, and it comes out fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two dishes who sometimes use master bath as a pee spot at night.  I solved the problem by using my older white towels ( that's all I use for towels) folded in half as bath mats; if they get "hit" they are easy to wash.

Trusted Contributor

@Caffeina   Thanks for the info.

My machine is similar to yours and the mat is the same size.

When you load the mat into the machine, do you roll it up and curve it around the center post?  Also, do you put the shaggy side up or down when you insert it?

Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda   I have white tile on the bathroom floor and I use two rugs that would be too big for a washer.  They are swept with the carpet sweeper and steam cleaned once a year.

Trusted Contributor

I use rugs in my bathrooms mostly for color.  I don't use them for bath mats, they are in front of the vanities.  I have memory foam bath mats that hang over the edge of the tub in between uses.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of different types of rugs for the bath.  I have one very large rug that I hop onto in the middle of the night so I'm not stepping onto a cold tile. 

I also have a small machine washable rug by the toilet and another by the shower.