Respected Contributor

Re: Are any of you doing "minimalization?"

Great word, @CelticCrafter!  I'm at a standstill on my decluttering journey right now.  Other priorities have gotten in the way.  I do have some things ready to go to Goodwill that I'll drop off on Saturday.

I'll never be a minimalist in the true sense of the word, but I am trying to rid myself of items that haven't been used in years and won't be used in the future.  I suspect if we ever find our right-sized house, we will be donating a great many things before the move.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I would be a minimalist if I lived alone.  But I love my DH dearly and therefore put up with his crapitation.  I will continue to decrap my stuff.

@sandy53 

Same here. I'm buying much less than ever before, and I have been ruthlessly purging lots of my older stuff. My husband doesn't like to get rid of anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  Moved from a house to a small one-bedroom apartment.   I got rid of 90% of our stuff.  My goal was not having any offsite storage.  I figured anything in offsite storage wasn’t a true need, just stuff. 

Many people who move here bring too much and it won’t fit in the apartment.   I found it surprising how little I really need.  I think we tend to fill whatever space we have, be it large or small.   

I went from having eight closets in the house to one closet.  My goal each day was to empty one closet.  Some things were moved to another closet and some things donated.  As I kept paring down, more stuff went to donations.  I finally got everything to fit in one closet, for me and my husband.   

I think the sooner people can pare down their belongings the better.  As people age, they don’t have the energy and wherewithal to do it.  My friend is in that situation. 

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me 

You are so right, the sooner we start dealing with our stuff, the better.  If you aren't mobile enough to load it up and move it out, or have family who will help you move it out, the stuff is just there for someone else to deal with after you're dead.   

I am so glad I pushed my mother to deal with the stuff in her basement before she slid further into dementia.   Now that all of that is gone, what's left upstairs will be easy to deal with when the time comes.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spent such a long and exhausting time cleaning out my mother's home when she passed away.  I don't want to burden my kids by putting them in that position of cleaning out my things, so have been purging small things and have taken boxes and boxes to charities since the lockdown began....but I have a lot of furniture I need to donate but can't find anyplace that will take it because it doesn't look like new. It is used. In good shape, but it is used. Can't put it in the curb but don't want to deal with online selling....just want a truck to come pick it up and then give it to someone who needs it. I am finding that easier said than done. we need to downsize..but can't find anyplace that is not ridiculously priced...and I mean ridiculous. Houses that sold for $350 two years ago are now priced at $850 and up. Some are over a million with 2400 sq ft.My friend said just pretend you are moving and start tossing. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter - I hope you will join us on the Declutter thread that is also here on the home forum. We'd love to hear about your experiences!

Honored Contributor

if you haven't already looked at buy nothing project dot org

please do so, it's a wonderful method to get rid of stuff , they use the term "gift" which is too cutesy for me.

have been getting rid of and getting some nice things 

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

This winter, I started cleaning out my basement. I lost 80 pounds and had 5 sizes of clothing stored. I packed up all but a few items and gave them to a charity along with some furniture and kitchen items -- 36 big boxes and 30-gallon garbage bags worth.

I have 8 large boxes of military stuff and some exercise equipment for my son downstairs. I told him he needed to come get it this summer or I'd get rid of it. I won't really dump it but need him to get it out of my basement.

@CalminHeart - Wow, that is a lot of stuff out of the house! That has to feel so good!

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, I'm just finding it today. I'd like to welome everyone over onto the Declutter 2022: What have you purged today? thread. It's been an ongoing thread each new year for several years now, and we all discuss our decluttering successes, or fails, to motivate and encourage each other so that are homes are filled with useful items or items that we love. I hope that everyone who is decluttering and purging will join us there too! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I spent such a long and exhausting time cleaning out my mother's home when she passed away.  I don't want to burden my kids by putting them in that position of cleaning out my things, so have been purging small things and have taken boxes and boxes to charities since the lockdown began....but I have a lot of furniture I need to donate but can't find anyplace that will take it because it doesn't look like new. It is used. In good shape, but it is used. Can't put it in the curb but don't want to deal with online selling....just want a truck to come pick it up and then give it to someone who needs it. I am finding that easier said than done. we need to downsize..but can't find anyplace that is not ridiculously priced...and I mean ridiculous. Houses that sold for $350 two years ago are now priced at $850 and up. Some are over a million with 2400 sq ft.My friend said just pretend you are moving and start tossing. 

@Duckncover 

We donated most of our furniture to Salvation Army.  However, they are particular about what they take, only furniture in good/perfect condition.  For the rest I called 1-800-gotjunk.  They were very professional and did a great job.  They charge to haul it away but will also donate what they can.