Honored Contributor

Re: Are any of you doing "minimalization?"

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We are in the process of what I call decrapitating right now. 

Forty four years of living in the same place and there is a lot that needs to go.  After tha'ts done then we can decide if we want to take it further.

I have a new favorite word!!!

@CelticCrafter 

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We are in the process of what I call decrapitating right now. 

Forty four years of living in the same place and there is a lot that needs to go.  After tha'ts done then we can decide if we want to take it further.

I have a new favorite word!!!

@CelticCrafter 

Same here~Genius, @CelticCrafter! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Yes, I have become a minimalist.  I do not buy anything unless I can say where it will be used and how it will be used.  If I do not see how to use it, I won't get it.  My friend recently moved, and she said she went thru her closets and tossed things.  She said why move a box from this closet to a new closet, and it doesn't get seen or used?  A treasured memory is different, but just something to store - let it go.  In fact, I just yesterday opened up my wedding dress box from the cleaners in 1988 and looked at it.  It has no discoloartion - a few rips at the bottom that can be fixed, so it is going to a wedding donation center this weekend.  My daughter does not want it - it is the long puffy sleeves from the 80's.  It is a great feeling to downsize, or just not upsize.

Respected Contributor

I just cleaned out my closet last weekend. Donated 14 shirts/blouses and about 8 pair of shorts/pants.  I used to have a hanger in, hanger out policy.  If I bought something, I got rid of something but I noticed this year I was folding some shirts and putting them in drawers. 

I love the term "decrapitation"

Honored Contributor

I Love the new word that you guys are using!!! I'm a firm believer in decrapping.

Respected Contributor

We went from a 3 bedroom/2 bath 1500 square foot ranch in California to a 5 bedroom/ 6bath 7500 square foot house with finished basement in the Southeast.  We didn't have all the furniture required within our old house to furnish this new one, so some furniture shopping was necessary.  But I thought I would be going "all out" in the way of decorating and other things but surprisingly I didn't.  I do minimal decorating and I think it looks nicer (at least for me) and certainly easier to clean.

Honored Contributor

Great word--decrapitating!!!  I have been doing that for the last 3 years it seems and I still have a 10 x 10 storage unit full. Moved from a 2000sq ft house in 2021 to a 930 sq ft apartment  and had to get rid of a ton of stuff then---most of it I was not ready to part with but it wouldn't fit----Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

We did that last year when we moved, it felt so good!!!!

I am however going to go thru my garage this Spring and get rid of books, I have way too many of them!!! I will donate many of them...

Honored Contributor

Yes; I've lived in very small apartments since the mid 90's.

Honored Contributor

My job after I retired is to purge.   As family members have passed their belongings have gone in my basement.   And the house is full of all my c*r*a*p.   I don't want to leave this to my DD.

My goal is to fill a large contractor's size trash bag every week.  I could be doing it every day.   I've had a problem getting large items moved to get to the smaller stuff.   I had a couple of guys come over and help me once, it did help.  They are friends of a neighbor.   I don't trust enough to bring in strangers.