Honored Contributor

Are any of you doing "minimalization?"

Has your downsizing gone to minimalization?  I once thought of that, and right out the window it went.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Are any of you doing "minimalization?"

We are in the process of what I call decrapitating right now. 

Forty four years of living in the same place and there is a lot that needs to go.  After tha'ts done then we can decide if we want to take it further.

Honored Contributor

This winter, I started cleaning out my basement. I lost 80 pounds and had 5 sizes of clothing stored. I packed up all but a few items and gave them to a charity along with some furniture and kitchen items -- 36 big boxes and 30-gallon garbage bags worth.

I have 8 large boxes of military stuff and some exercise equipment for my son downstairs. I told him he needed to come get it this summer or I'd get rid of it. I won't really dump it but need him to get it out of my basement.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We are in the process of what I call decrapitating right now. 

Forty four years of living in the same place and there is a lot that needs to go.  After tha'ts done then we can decide if we want to take it further.

Decrapitating  May I use that, it's so right on!!!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Since things were modified with my classes, I just got rid of the last stack of papers left over from handouts for my college students. Now there is this lovely gaping hole on the shelf.

DH acquired a classic car. He keeps talking about getting rid of garage stuff (mostly his) in order to fit the car inside.

@qualitygal  Are you thinking about minimalizing again?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   Nope, all that resulted it appears, is I have a few new things now.  LOL  I saw the show about it, is on Netflix again.  Reminded me is all.

Esteemed Contributor

We downsized a few years ago and at that time we donated so much stuff!    I got rid of many clothes I hadn't worn or didn't fit anymore, old camping stuff, all kinds of junk.  My DH is one of those people who says "I might need that someday"  LOL, well I figure if you haven't used it in the 15 years we were in our last home, you won't need it in the new one!    We did fairly well with it but we could be better at it even now.  I am constantly making an effort to streamline.........it's a vicious circle.

Esteemed Contributor

We're in the process of getting things ready for painters so we have been decluttering.

Respected Contributor

I just arrived in my new house, 2 weeks before the movers arrived with my belongings. During that time, I slept on a raised air bed, had a suitcase of clothes, and had sent 6 boxes of basic necessities to the new place via UPS. I also Ubered while my car was being shipped.

And living with such minimal items was absolutely awesome! My daily routine was much simpler. Halfway through the movers unloading & delivering my belongings, I secretly want to yell, "Stop! I don't want any more stuff!" It was crowding out my uncomplicated bliss.

Honored Contributor

yes

I repainted my kitchen and took down all the ****** on the wall and listed it on Facebook, it's calming and fresh

getting ready to go thru my cedar closet right now,

it used to be crammed but have been editing everything over the years