Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have an adjustable bed?

The kind where you can raise and lower the head and/or foot of the mattress?   Soon be time for me  to buy a new bed and I was thinking this would be a nice feature.  All feedback appreciated.  TIA.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have an adjustable bed?

@Lilysmom wrote:

The kind where you can raise and lower the head and/or foot of the mattress?   Soon be time for me  to buy a new bed and I was thinking this would be a nice feature.  All feedback appreciated.  TIA.  LM

We have a split king adjustable Sleep Number bed. DH does not use the adjustable feature much but I do. I like being able to raise my head a bit because it helps to clear by basal airway - an extra pillow just does not work the same. I raise my feet more than my head and it takes the pressure off my lower back. If you are mainly a side sleeper you can't raise either too high or it will be uncomfortable. But this feature has definitely helped me to not wake up with an aching back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's expensive, sheets are harder to change, but at our age,in case a doctor says you may need a chair to sleep in, your bed can take care of it.  We got ours in the nick of time.  I have to add:  we sleep so good now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got mine about a month ago. I love it. I am disabled. I don’t even need a bed railing to get out of bed anymore. I got the ease 2.0 with a Sealy trust II hybrid mattress. I  have slept so well since getting it. The base I got has adjusteble legs. You can put it at 3, 6, or 9 inch height. Makes it nice because you can put it right where you need it. 

Respected Contributor

I bought my adjustable bed at Macy's a couple years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I waited for a sale on the adjustable frame, and the salesperson helped me pick out a mattress that would work on it. I didn't buy a sleep number mattress. I never want to be without my adjustable bed. I watch TV, use my laptop, etc. and can adjust the bottom part and the upper part to suit my comfort.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily@ccassaday@qualitygal@froggy, it sounds pretty good so far.  I currently have a king bed but am thinking I would go with a queen...not completely convinced to go queen.  I wonder if I will be able to use my leather headboard with this type of bed?

Thank you for your feedback,  @qualitygal, why are sheets harder to change?  Is it because it is a split mattress?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

We have a split king from Sleep Number.  Raising the Head does help DH breathe better.  That said, it is not worth the cost.  You need split king sheet sets to make the bed easily.  Otherwise, the comforter must come off and you must push the beds apart.  Do not buy sheets at sleep number store;  they do not good up and the company does not stand behind them.  

Ours is about 6-7 years old.  The motor on one side already had to be replaced, and we had to pay for shipping.  Also, no service goes thru the store.  You can an 800 # and they close at 3pm on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays.  Both sides do deflate with normal use.  Every 2-3 seems we have to pump up each side.

I would never buy another Sleep Number!

Respected Contributor

Just want to defend the Sleep Number a little. If you do get a split king with top and bottom adjustable you will need to buy sheet sets with two extra long twin fitted sheets. The top sheet is the same. I find mine on Amazon - agree the ones from the Sleep Number store are not very good. It is harder to make the bed because you can't push the mattresses completely apart, but I did get used to it.

We have had ours for 4 years with no trouble at all. Ours do not deflate on their own at all. To me it is worth the money to sleep well. Beware though that their guarantee to replace the bed if you don't like it applies only to the mattress - not the adjustable base - at least that was the way it was when we got ours. It was very expensive to get a really good mattress rather than the cheaper ones they advertise - about $7K.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desert Lily@ccassaday@qualitygal@froggy, it sounds pretty good so far.  I currently have a king bed but am thinking I would go with a queen...not completely convinced to go queen.  I wonder if I will be able to use my leather headboard with this type of bed?

Thank you for your feedback,  @qualitygal, why are sheets harder to change?  Is it because it is a split mattress?  LM

Most of the bases you should have no problem using your current headboard.  You might have to order the specific headboard bracket for the particular base you buy.  Just ask the salesperson about that. I do not find the sheets are harder to change. Being disabled my mom does it. She has not complained once and says it’s no issue. I have a full. I could imagine the split king would be harder. Mine entire set cost about $1900. Personally I wouldn’t buy a sleep number or temperpedic. I think they are overpriced. Sleep number to me has to many parts. There are a lot of more affordable brands just as good.

Super Contributor

After months and months of research, we bought a queen with a gel foam mattress from http://www.usadjustablebeds.com/ with the base AND mattress coming to about $2600 (we waited for a sale). We LOVE it, and I sat in bed every night watching tv before lights out. 

The mattress developed some wrinkles in the cover and the company didn't even ask questions; they sent us a new mattress and told us we could either keep the one we had or they would arrange to take it back.

We love the gel foam mattress so we kept it and put it on a guest room bed since there was nothing wrong with it. 

I have muscular dystrophy and have a lot of trouble getting up out of low chairs or seats, so we put the included extenders on the four legs of the base so that I can easily get in and out of bed.

The ONLY thing I don't love about it is that it is not easy to change the sheets, since the corners of the mattress have to be lifted up and out of the corner brackets that hold the mattress in place when using the adjustable features.

It is smooth, quiet, reliable and the customer service is outstanding. Leggett and Platt is comparable to the highest end adjustable beds out there and we could not be happier. We would have gotten the split king but at the time we purchased we didn't have a bedroom big enough for it. Now, we do, and I wish we had it but we make the best out of it. Oh, and we took the TV out of the bedroom. Its too tempting to go to bed way too early when you can sit up in bed with your feet up. Smiley Very Happy