Super Contributor

Question to REAL ESTATE experts....from a seller

Hello all. We have our condo on the market. We would like to sell it but it isnt do or die, I think we   got it on the market a bit late in the year. Our listing agent who I thought would be doing all the showings   hasnt done one. I see a book she put to gether with many other listings in the area  and in retrospect I am wondering if she is doing something deliberating like showing ours is higher priced than her other properties. In other words pointing out to people what a great deal the other properties are that are lower in price. Be that as it may be, thats not my concern.

One of our stipulations since we are retired and achy is that we can be home during showings.    She is suppose to tell the showing agents that right?. So this agent shows up and instead of ring the doorbell goes to lockbox gets  key then gets frustrated because she cant unlock my storm   door. Of course I immediately opend the door and the first thing out of her mouth was a real smart assy "you were expecting a showing???? MY clients are right behind me".. I was very nice but they were so stand offish. She had never been here even one time ever. I offered to show them around and the guy  said NO we'll stick with our agent. Talk about uncomfortable. I am a very nice person and have over  seen many remodel projects and have put so much into this place. These people   didnt even say good bye. I dont see the benefit of this type of behavior. She was going down the basement stairs dark because she didnt know where the light switch was. I    really   wanted to give them a nice tour and show them   everything, the good the bad and the ugly. She pretended she had been here before. In short I am ticked off now, because I felt like we were not all onthe same team. I guess honesty is not welcomed, but I am not going to have somebody come into my home and muzzle me. Anyway, now they want my disclosure statement. I dont feel I should give it unless there is an offer. State law says  it has to be given before a close. I feel i should offer it when there is an offer.  I just feel a bit of  discomfort now.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question to REAL ESTATE experts....from a seller

If she is part of an office of realtors, then speak to her manager and explain your concerns. They may switch your listing agent or send her with a more experienced agent to get her more informed about how to be an agent. I'm no expert, but she sounds inexperienced.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you didn’t sign a long contract with your realtor. Because if I were you, I’d be looking for a new agent.

Another issue, when the homeowner is present during the showing, potential buyers don’t feel comfortable. They can’t talk freely about their likes and dislikes because the owner may overhear their comments.

Even if you have to drive around the block and park, you shouldn’t be home during a showing.

When we were house hunting, we spent very little time in a home if the owners were present.

Honored Contributor

it is not such a great idea for an owner to be there when an agent is showing the property. you should not offer to show them around, that is their agents job. you probably should have left for a while OR just stayed out of their way. i think people feel uncomfortable about making comments, speaking, or asking questions of their agent when the owners are there listening. i know that i would.

dont know where you live, but in some areas a potential buyer can request disclosures prior to making an offer.

When does the buyer receive disclosure statements?

In most markets, disclosure documents are provided to buyers once the seller has accepted their offer. In addition to their inspections or loan contingency, the buyer has an opportunity to review the seller’s disclosures. If the buyer discovers something negative about the property through disclosure, she can usually back out.

In some markets, sellers provide these disclosures to the customers before an offer. Smart sellers let buyers know everything they need to know up front. It’s smart because it saves everyone time, hassle and expense by preventing deals from falling apart once they’re in escrow.

Buyers must sign off on all disclosures and reports. So it’s important to review them carefully and ask questions if you need to. Full disclosure upfront is the way to go. Providing full disclosure can help a seller. By laying their cards out, sellers can give buyers a sense of comfort or peace of mind, making their home more desirable than a competing one.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have sold a few houses in my life & moved alot too. I never like when the owners are there when my realtor is showing us the house. When we had showings most times my realtor will tell me that they have clients which means put all lights on in every room, make sure you aren't there (incase they may things that could offend you) also make sure the house is tidy. You never know when & if you get the call that someone is coming to look. I was told to set the dinningroom table & put on low music. Take away all personal pictures & declutter. Somehow I always sold my houses under 35 days after listing but I hope I don't have to move for a long time. It's alot of work, wish you the best of luck hope you have better communication with your realtor.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be very unusal, at least in my part of the country, for the listing agent to personally handle all of the showings. The biggest issue that I see is that you seem to want to be involved in showing your home, to "give them a nice tour"....that is not your job, and I can guarantee that the majority of potential buyers do not want the owner tagging along to talk about the home. If you can't at least drive around the block a few times, then you should go to a seldom used room in the house and read a book until the showing is complete. If there is a question about the disclosure, then you should refer those questions to your listing agent. If you still want to be totally involved in the sale, then perhaps you should be selling the home yourself with a For Sale by Owner, and forget about using an agent. I sure wouldn't recommend that though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Thebig I: I have sold a few homes, most recently this summer. My house sold in one day.

To address some of your concerns: the listing agent lists your house and ideally drums up interest among agents. It is the buyers' agent that shows your home, often after speaking with your agent. Regardless of your age and aches, everyone in your household needs to leave right before a showing, or immediately upon the arrival of potential buyers. I don't care if you get in the car and park at the end of the block- get out and stay out until they are gone, whether it takes ten minutes or two hours. Also, no one cares how many projects you oversaw in the house: the day you listed it for sale it stopped being your home and is now "on the market" Super awkward to ever show the house with you there. Total turn-off. In spite of all that someone wants your disclosure statement. That's a good sign. Cooperate and get it to your agent ASAP. Should have been done prior to listing.

Do you really want to sell your condo? Yes, it is not the best time of year to be a seller, especially since mortgage rates have risen steadily all year. Fewer buyers out there now, but you just need one. Please be cooperative. This is not about you. It's always about the buyer. Please remember that.

Honored Contributor

I think you were out of line.  If you wanted to show the house and do the sales job, you should have listed the house "for sale by owner".  There are many reasons why owners are advised not to be present while the house is being shown, one being you are likely to say too much.  I'd be surprised if your realtor is still willing to work with you after the incident you describe.

Why are you hiding the disclosure statement?  I would not consider a property without seeing it; I sure wouldn't make an offer.  Why should a buyer waste his time considering a home that has something wrong that would not be acceptable?   Put yourself in his place.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I would normally say I don't think the seller should be at home when their house is shown.  I agree it is not comfortable for the person looking.  That being said, my husband and I showed up with our realtor to look at the house we purchased about 13 years ago.  Their agent never told them we were coming and we patiently waited while his wife dressed and the gentlemen offered to show us the outside of the property. It so happened it was actuall two homes, one they lived in and a smaller ranch he used for his hobbies.  BINGO! This was an instant friendship with my husband.  In fact a few hours after seeing the property we left and had a couple of questions.  We called them and they invited us back and we went without our realtor.  Since we were moving from out of state our son really wanted to see the house before we put in an offer so we returned on our own a couple of weeks later and they were very gractious while we went over the house again and I took all kinds of measurements to be sure I could remodel the kitchen. We then made an offer.  I don't think we would have purchased if not for them.

Honored Contributor

@Thebig I  Selling is an excruciatring experience and your situation shows some of the why's.  I have a few questions -  first, did your agent run a brokers' open house so that local brokers could familiarize themselves with your home?  

Also, why is there a lockbox on your home if you and your agent agreed you would be home during showings?  I don't think being there is a good idea, but if you don't want lookers if you're not home, there's no need for the lockbox.

The house in which I rent my apartment has been on the market for several months now; every single time there was an open house or a showing, both the owners and I received prior notice - anywhere from 24 to 48 hours ahead.  No surprises.

As for the comment on the pricing comment -  the comparisons are on all the listing nowadays.  Any savvy buyer knows where your asking price falls in comparison to other properties -  it's unlikely it's a ploy by your agent to sell different properties.  In fact, when the agent helped you choose the price for your condo, I would assume she went over the prices of neighborhood properties with you - those on sale currently and those closed within the last 3 or 4 months.  If yours is marketed for more than others, the listing should highlight what makes it worth the extra value.