Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else here collect/use vintage Pyrex?

When I travel by car, I am always on the lookout for antique stores along the way.

I check them out to see if I can find anything that is interesting that I can't find in my area. I must say, I do not think I have ever seen Pink Pyrex, or I would have remembered it.

I will have to be on the lookout for the Pink when I am out.

I want a Pyrex covered butterdish. I found two today but I did not love them enough to pay what they were marked.

One will turn up eventually at Goodwill!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I have this set that my Mother had, but don't know how old it is.

Oh mousiegirl, you have one of the holy grails of Pyrex collectors. These bowls, pink gooseberry , began being produced in 1957, and I don't think they were made for too awful many years. 

These sets sell on ebay for often more than $100 per set. Very nice, and I'm not ashamed to say, I'm jealous, not only that you have such a nice set, but the wonderful fact that they belonged to your mom.  I hope you enjoy using or displaying them!

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I have this set that my Mother had, but don't know how old it is.

Oh mousiegirl, you have one of the holy grails of Pyrex collectors. These bowls, pink gooseberry , began being produced in 1957, and I don't think they were made for too awful many years. 

These sets sell on ebay for often more than $100 per set. Very nice, and I'm not ashamed to say, I'm jealous, not only that you have such a nice set, but the wonderful fact that they belonged to your mom.  I hope you enjoy using or displaying them!

mominohio, I do use them, but don't display them.  I edited my post to say that I found this picture on ebay because I still can't get my own pictures to post in this forum, and was shocked at the cost now, crazy, isn't it?  I still have her loaf with lid baker, which I used to bake small meatloaves in, and a few others, and of course, I have a lot of the glass pyrex, just lasts forever.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my pryrex and Corningware! I used to have the "Spice of Life" pattern and I traded it for the blue Cornflower......

I got my sets for my Bridal shower in 1976.

Honored Contributor

Oh I certainly don't collet Pyrex but I still use the set I got at my bridal shower back in 1978. Where on earth does one keep "vintage" bowls that they collect? I wouldn't have the room to keep buying more. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I certainly don't collet Pyrex but I still use the set I got at my bridal shower back in 1978. Where on earth does one keep "vintage" bowls that they collect? I wouldn't have the room to keep buying more. Woman Surprised

My son built me a nice set of thick, heavy wood shelves, and they are in the laundry room (we have a huge laundry room) with all my Pyrex displayed on it. I love doing laundry anyway, but then to get to 'visit' my bowl collection with each load, makes it even more fun.

I take different sets up to the kitchen depending on the season and color of dishes I'm using at the time, and actually use them. I will rotate them in and out for the various seasons or according to my moods. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

100_2544.jpgThese have been in my family for a long time.  The square Pyrex bowl was always full of mashed potatoes.  The large bowl in the set was used to make delicious cakes that I'd love to have another slice of.   I don't use them much anymore though, but I still enjoy having them.  MIO, this is an interesting thread.  Thank you for starting it.  According to my research the yellow/black was discontinued in 1962 nd the pink in 1966.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I love it!  It makes my heart happy when I see it and use it.  I don't have a large collection, because I don't have a large house, but I love the pieces I have.  I'll post some pictures of items that are the same or similar to what I have.

pyrex 1.jpgpyrex 2.jpg

pyrex 3.jpg

pyrex 4.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

What beautiful sets those are.... remind me of fantastic cassaroles my Mom would make us during the 60's.  She had quite a few of those bowls and a lot of Corning (Corn Flower Blue)...  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I copied house_cat's photo because I think this is the set my Mother used all of the time as she had an aqua painted and accessorized kitchen, and it rings a bell in my mind, but it is long gone.

pyrex 1.jpg

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

100_2544.jpgThese have been in my family for a long time.  The square Pyrex bowl was always full of mashed potatoes.  The large bowl in the set was used to make delicious cakes that I'd love to have another slice of.   I don't use them much anymore though, but I still enjoy having them.  MIO, this is an interesting thread.  Thank you for starting it.  According to my research the yellow/black was discontinued in 1962 nd the pink in 1966.

Oh lucymo, what lovely pieces! I'm bidding a lot lately on a set just like yours, but I keep loosing! 

Isn't it wonderful to have those memories, of just what mom or grandma made and in which pieces it was always served? I look back at photos from the 1950's and 60's and see all the Pyrex at work during family gatherings and holidays. I still have a few pieces that were my mom's but many went to that big cupboard in the sky many years ago. 

Thanks for those dates, and for others interested, there are a couple of online sources that have lots of Corning and Pyrex information.

www. corelle corner.com 

www.pyrexlove.com