Honored Contributor

Re: Another view from my front porch

@BirkiLady

I wish we had toured a factory!

We did go to a “store” which was small and consisted of maybe one or two of each type of item. The items would be made for you, if you wished, in certain kinds of wood and possibly finishes.

Our DD married into a family that really values wood furniture and homemade quilts. The men make various wood-crafted items and the women make gorgeous quilts and fabric items. These are treasured!

Their family is not Amish, but the area tends to value the culture!❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  My husband grew up not far from Amish, but not as close to them as you are. I enjoy your pics and comments/writing. I do hope you try blogging. I think your camera took a pretty good pic.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1  Delighted to hear you've enjoyed the Amana Colonies! Where does you daughter live? Must be near DesMoines?

My husband is originally from the Greenfield, IA area and the family farms have been donated to the Uni. of IA as teaching farms. He was thrilled to leave the farm for college life and never considered going back.

The Amish furniture building, which is very large, isn't located near I-80. Most tourists don't have any idea it is there. It is probably 10-12 miles north of I-80 in an around with other speciality buildings (also fascinating). We would make an appointment and select the style of furniture, the wood, finish, the upholstery, type of springs etc. if a chair or sofa, number of rungs (think that's what they are called) for a chair base and back, type of "lip" for a table edge, number of leaves for a dining table, and so many other options. The entire process was up to the buyer. (Decorators were on staff, if necessary. We usually knew exactly what we had in mind.)

And then we would wait . . .  like waiting for a birth! The excitement was unbelieveable.

We began purchasing our bedroom furniture there before we were married (in March 1969) with a solid cherry dresser. On our honeymoon in July to Wisconsin, we looked at headboards . . . but couldn't afford them yet. (We were students.) For our first anniversary, we bought the headboard. We were hooked -  completed our bedroom and the rest of that first home . . . and then so many other homes.

Haven't stayed with all cherry; have branched out with walnut, which I really love in two other bedrooms, some pieces in the living room and the entire family room.

The Amish do a spectacular job of knowing exactly what you want and the craftsmanship is the best we found in all of our moves. We never regretted the heavy weights or the high costs. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Beautiful!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, I think you would do a wonderful job writing a book.  Or at least a blog.  You are a talented writer and offer unique perspectives.  I am sure you would have many followers, including me.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon

I talk to myself - and there's never a disagreement.

Super Contributor

WOW what a fabulous view!!!   Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

@Mominohio, thank you so much for that photo !!!!

If he is an Amish working the farm??? OH MY !!! I have a bit of an obsession with the Amish.  Ever since my aunt used to take us to Hershey PA every year, I just fell in love with the kind hearted, simple life living, honorable Amish.  I used to say ...Aunti I want to be AMISH, until the day I found out I could not blow dry my hair...lol

I read Amish Fiction and non fiction often.  And obsessed with their quilts...

A beauty of a pic...your lucky.

@Skididdy if you enjoy Amish Fiction stories have you read the "Amish Candy Shop Mysteries" by Amanda Flower.   I've just started to read "Assaulted Caramel" and I am really enjoying it.  

Trusted Contributor

No I have not @J Town Girl.  Thank you for the tip.  There are so many authors now that write about Amish fiction and non fiction. I read Wanda Brunstetter and Bev Lewis all the time.  If you have not read it....please read AMISH GRACE....it is the non fiction writings about the school house shootings.  The book takes my breath away with the forgiveness of these dear people.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Pardon the interruption...

I saw this on FB and it seemed like something that you would like.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900038777/how-one-man-is-rescuing-bibles-to-preserve-its-genealo...