Honored Contributor

Re: Another view from my front porch

@Skididdy wrote:

That would be great @Mominohio. I would love to see them.

If you do not mind me asking, are you from PA or another strong populated Amish area.?

2 of my treasured possessions are an Amish quilt  and a print hanging on my wall of 2 Amish little girls, holding their dolls with no face laying in grass.  An amish woman had drawn it from her back porch as she watched her daughters play. I met her and she spoke of the story... it just spoke to me...and I have 2 daughters for I had to have it. . Just beautiful, simple, understated.

I'm from and still in Ohio. 

We live in an area that has literally been taken over the last 30 years by an Old Order Amish settlement. They are expanding here more all the time. 

Most people are familiar with Homes County Ohio and the big Amish retail section in that part of the state. We are not there but about 60 miles from it. There are many pockets of Amish settlements throughout Ohio, and still expanding.

Love the story of your picture. It really does speak to you, when you have children and someone has captured something in some art form that represents and reminds you of their youth. Sweet.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Here are the pics from near Amana, Ia (we visited)

BA6A6B42-DCF3-46F9-82D0-1E91C9832147.jpeg7743B3BA-A5A6-4A77-AEBD-E47DB3A751E7.jpeg462588D4-A6EC-4FB2-ADE9-3132F26E23C5.jpeg54EB6640-C969-40A8-82B1-F5665AF7F0CF.jpeg

last picture: metal wheels on a piece of farm equipment!

These had been stored by me on FB thank you for helping me remember.

Also, I will never forget going to STAY at an Amish home in Indiana...taking our then little 8 yo DD! 

I wanted Ted her to see “real” life outside of suburbia! And the fruits of hard labor!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mominohio

BA6A6B42-DCF3-46F9-82D0-1E91C9832147.jpeg7743B3BA-A5A6-4A77-AEBD-E47DB3A751E7.jpeg462588D4-A6EC-4FB2-ADE9-3132F26E23C5.jpeg54EB6640-C969-40A8-82B1-F5665AF7F0CF.jpeg

Also, I will never forget going to STAY at an Amish home in Indiana...taking our then little 8 yo DD! 

I wanted Ted her to see “real” life outside of suburbia! And the fruits of hard labor!

Nice pictures!

Your last statement really brings to light something that I kind of take for granted, because of the times in which I was raised, and where I live now. 

People on these boards, and in life in general (think HGTV shows especially) are so adamant about what they 'need' and what they 'can't live without' (a bathroom for every member of the family, central air, closets big enough to house a small third world family, all today's technology, etc.) and I just shake my head. 

Not because people want. Not because they work smart/hard and buy the creature comforts they desire. That is all well and good. 

It is what they define as need in this day and age that has me laughing. 

Living around people who have virtually none of it (and being raised without most of it) I just know different. And I know none of it brings true happiness. 

Especially today's young people are so removed from the basics of life, and what it takes to get through a day without most of what we now consider essential. 

Good lesson for kids and a reminder for the rest of us once in awhile, to see that life indeed does go on without all of it, and just how it does go on.  

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  We also have a large Amish area just south of here in Middlefield, OH.  Unfortunately, much of it is located on main roads where people travel at least 50 miles an hour.  They are supposed to defer to the buggies, but the area is very hilly with short visibility.  The buggies are required to have a large bright red reflective triangle on the back, but every year I hear of several buggy/car crashes.  You can imagine the outcome.  Sometimes entire families are wiped out.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Conjures up -  Simpler times. Simpler people.

Pretty view.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I'm about an hour and a half from Lancaster, PA.  We visit often and always have both a relaxing and enjoyable time.  It's one of my favorite places!  

Oh and, by the way, there is a QVC outlet there too.  

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Mominohio  We also have a large Amish area just south of here in Middlefield, OH.  Unfortunately, much of it is located on main roads where people travel at least 50 miles an hour.  They are supposed to defer to the buggies, but the area is very hilly with short visibility.  The buggies are required to have a large bright red reflective triangle on the back, but every year I hear of several buggy/car crashes.  You can imagine the outcome.  Sometimes entire families are wiped out.

@2blonde

Same issues here. Ashland area just had a bad buggy/car accident this last week or so. No one killed, but some pretty bad injuries to a couple of the kids in the buggy. 

Personally, I think it's time to outlaw them at least on the state highways. Like you noted, most places in Ohio that they live and travel, the roads are hilly and sometimes very curvy too. Visibility is an issue and the speed at which they travel combines to make a lot of danger. 

I will say that in Holmes county, the state highways have a separate buggy lane on the sides and that helps so much when traveling in that area. Makes a world of difference, relative to not having it like where I live.

The buggies are much more lit up today than when we moved here 25 years ago, as back then they had NOTHING reflective or lit to see them at night. They are pretty visible now, but you just cannot mix vehicles going 5 or ten miles an hour with those doing 50 or more, and think there isn't going to be problems. 

English tend to get really upset about the fact that here are no car seats or safety features in buggies for the children. Mothers are driving the buggies, with babies in their arms, on state highways with all that faster traffic. I really feel they don't value their children's lives when they put them in some of these situations with the traffic and the inability to secure the children in the buggies.

It's a constant issue in areas like ours.

Respected Contributor

I love your photos and stories.  Please keep them coming.  I can't imagine how awesome it must feel to live near such beautiful things.   I'm in a big city and I can only dream of living somewhere like that.  Gorgeous scenery!

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio I envy you. To have this view everyday is a blessing. I know, I live in the city and my view is the house across the street. Thanks for sharing. I feel peace just looking at your pictures. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mominohio

Nice pictures!

Your last statement really brings to light something that I kind of take for granted, because of the times in which I was raised, and where I live now. 

People on these boards, and in life in general (think HGTV shows especially) are so adamant about what they 'need' and what they 'can't live without' (a bathroom for every member of the family, central air, closets big enough to house a small third world family, all today's technology, etc.) and I just shake my head. 

Not because people want. Not because they work smart/hard and buy the creature comforts they desire. That is all well and good. 

It is what they define as need in this day and age that has me laughing. 

Living around people who have virtually none of it (and being raised without most of it) I just know different. And I know none of it brings true happiness. 

Especially today's young people are so removed from the basics of life, and what it takes to get through a day without most of what we now consider essential. 

Good lesson for kids and a reminder for the rest of us once in awhile, to see that life indeed does go on without all of it, and just how it does go on.  

Well said mominohio