Respected Contributor

Re: Another view from my front porch

@Mominohio

In the Lancaster, Pa. area, the amish do not like to have their pictures taken.  I wonder if they're a different order or sect where you are or do they also not like photos of them taken.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Mominohio

Pardon the interruption...

I saw this on FB and it seemed like something that you would like.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900038777/how-one-man-is-rescuing-bibles-to-preserve-its-genealo...

@lolakimono

Oh how you know me!

I don't consider myself very religious, but more spiritual. I have attended church off and on throughout my life, more off than on. 

I have several family Bibles with a lot of documentation in them and I treasure them immensely.

When I worked for Goodwill Industries and Volunteers of America, we had a lot of old Bibles donated as people would clean out after the passing of a loved one. It used to bother me to no end to deal with those. We put them out for sale but some did not sell. I simply kept putting them back, as I could not bring myself to destroy them. 

Those and boxes of old pictures that people would just dump off used to really bother me. Families, in my opinion, have a responsibility to pass this kind of thing down, and to preserve it for the future generations. Even people with no children have some cousins, nieces, nephews, or someone on some branch of the family tree that could be the next holder of the history. 

So interesting and exciting to see this man's work.

Thank you @lolakimono for sharing this!

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@Mominohio

In the Lancaster, Pa. area, the amish do not like to have their pictures taken.  I wonder if they're a different order or sect where you are or do they also not like photos of them taken.

Most Amish don't want their picture taken up close. Many in this are don't say anything if you keep your distance and stay clear of documenting their faces. Pictures of buggies, farms, or bodies in the distance don't seem to upset them.