Honored Contributor

This is the library that designer Miles Redd created for his parents in Atlanta.

miles-redd-green-library.jpg

It's always stuck in my mind, for a few reasons.  What do you think of that rich green in a library?  My only problem would be if I were there to read or work, I'd be distracted by the sumptuous color enveloping me. 

I'm never going to have the luxury of a separate room designated "library", but let's dream!   Although I like a lighter palette for other rooms, here I think it's both cozy AND refreshing, a hard balance to strike.

The touches of mellow brass, and the blue and white lamps, beautiful with green.

The other thing, is that hollyhock chintz on the table. It comes in many different colors.  I'm not a table cloth person, but here it lightens the mood and furthers a "garden" feeling.

This was the only other view I could find to post.  Some desk to work at!

miles-redd-3.jpg

Here's one more library that Miles Redd designed.  Less visually 'demanding', perhaps.  Equally inviting.

Cozy-Library-of-architect-Gil-Schafer-design-by-Miles-Redd.jpg

Daniel Romualdez does a beautiful, intimate one for those who must have light.

large_70VestryLibrary.jpg

Victoria Hagan is a very subtle, understated designer who also does a suede-y, quietly luxurious library....  

Victoria-Hagan-cozy-library-Francesco-Lagnese-architectural-digest.jpeg

Wraparound opulence...brown-davis.jpg

What I like best, is that practically any place can be your library!

highbury-romilly-turner-interior-design-img~28d170460be4bcc1_14-3372-1-c0e0142.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@OznellI love the library, and can spend hours there. However, I am not that keen on a home library. I do like the nook in the last picture. I could do that.

Respected Contributor

The only one that appeals to me is the last one. I have books everywhere. I'd like to make a room a library and have a room in mind for it. Maybe I'll get working on it. Thanks for the inspiration. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been a fan of formal libraries in a home either.  Therefore, none of these appeal to me except the last one (nook) is doable.  There's not much I care for in that first one...not a green person nor do I like the patterns used, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like green, but there's way too much of it for me in the first library photo.

The second one is my favorite. I like the warm wood, but not the red chair. 

The others aren't for me. 

Honored Contributor

I have always loved library rooms in a home, especially a spacious old Victorian home.  I love the look of all the books surrounding a beautiful desk, comfortable roomy chairs , a Oriental rug and touches of art work and decor around the room.  

I am not fond of the green color either in the first photo, I would prefer a soothing calm color in a library room.  The table cloth is lovely, I love the look.

Respected Contributor

I like a dark green color...but the shade in the first picture is s bit too bright. I also would never have painted the wood fireplace.  Painting pretty old wood is a travesty to me!  Perhaps it was ugly wood!

As more of us (including myself) are going more toward ebooks, it wouldn't be a practical use of space for most.  I have often wondered if people with tons of books in huge bookcases ever read the ones on top!

I really like the little nook in the last photo....much more my style.  I used to have several large bookcases stuffed full.  Now I have two small ones, with maybe 60 books.  

Respected Contributor

I do like the green library but not the lamps. I'd just go with something white. Love, love the tablecloth! Do you know the brand?

Honored Contributor

Re: A HOME LIBRARY

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I like the Miles Redd library with the natural brown wood.....

The green librtary is too intense and dont like the combo of the chintz table cloth print with those lamps---its just too much....I'd leave the fireplace green, paint the rest of the walls white, get rid of the table entirely and insert a nice comfy large chair for reading beside the fireplace....

The rest are either too modern, dark, or cold looking .....The last one is a good use of space....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

My DB had a library when he owned a historical home several years back.  It was certainly not decorated in this fashion, much more functional, plain long table and such.  The focus was his books.

I have a dear friend, a retired teacher, two degrees in English, who continues her love of books well into her old age.  She does have a desk in her library, but all her books are center stage.

We have bookcases in several rooms in my home.  Just nooks rather than centered in one room.  We have a diverse collection and just love our books!