Respected Contributor

after watching VPH decorating shows

I am inspired to go to Pier 1, Michaels and Fred Meyers.  Off shore shipping makes buying VPH prohibative to me.  There isn't any $5 S&H.  So I am off to local stores.

Honored Contributor

Re: after watching VPH decorating shows

I used to love VP's items.  The last item I bought was about four years ago and was some kind of bead garland.  It tangled with itself, it lost beads and glitter as I was trying to get it out of the packaging and actually use it.  Once I was able to use it, I tried to put it in the center of my table around the center piece and it continued to drop beads and glitter and I couldn't stand it...... sent it back and moved on.... Woman Frustrated 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I am inspired to go to Pier 1, Michaels and Fred Meyers.  Off shore shipping makes buying VPH prohibative to me.  There isn't any $5 S&H.  So I am off to local stores.

She has that effect on people - she has some good decorating ideas but you can find similar things elsewhere for less $$.  Try looking at Home Goods too.

Esteemed Contributor

Valerie is definitely inspiring to me, too.  I wish you luck in finding just the right things during your local shopping. 

It's too bad that shipping is so high for you.  It's bad enough for the rest of us, when we know it's $5.00 or more per item, with no discounts for multiples ordered at the same time.  That makes me re-think lots of potential purchases.

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Some of the items they show here you can pick up something similar in other B&M stores. Pier 1 just had 20% off ornaments and Christmas decor and there is no shipping. I find Pier1 pricey though.

Michaels is also another great place to pick up items and some you can make yourself! 

I don't have a Fred Meyers but there are other nice stores like TJ Maxx and Homegoods that carry beautiful christmas decor at amazing prices. 

Even Macys has a nice Holiday Lane Christmas shop with quality items and I wait until I can get a % off coupon just for this dept. I usually get a coupon from them everyyear and hope to get one soon before thanksgiving so I can get the best choices. 

Good luck in your shopping! Sometimes there are better deals in the stores. 

Honored Contributor

@traveler, if these stores are close to you, then that is great!  If you have to travel about 10 miles, fight the traffic, look for a parking place, spend gas money,  and stand in line, some times buying online is more convenient IMO!

Respected Contributor

Home Goods has several items I have seen in Pier 1 for less money.

Respected Contributor

No Macys, TJ Maxx, Home Goods or Hobby Lobby here and shipping can be outrageus.

We downsized a few  years ago I am supposed to be donating holiday items but still...

Fewer flat surfaces and even my kitchen is smaller.

Yes, I like Valerie's ideas ince I decorate for season, not Christmas.

Valued Contributor

When I go to the QVC outlet there are always piles of her stuff, and I am shocked by how cheaply made it looks for the price, especially the garlands and wreaths. Like the bargain table at a discount store.  I know lots of people think she's great, but my suggestion is to buy a really nice item  at a nice store after Christmas, when they are practically giving stuff away. Lots of beautiful things marked down 80% after the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@65and fabulous wrote:

When I go to the QVC outlet there are always piles of her stuff, and I am shocked by how cheaply made it looks for the price, especially the garlands and wreaths. Like the bargain table at a discount store.  I know lots of people think she's great, but my suggestion is to buy a really nice item  at a nice store after Christmas, when they are practically giving stuff away. Lots of beautiful things marked down 80% after the holidays.

I agree! And I've found that if I have truly nice quality and versitile items, I don't need tons of things. I sometimes think we buy too much because we don't take the time to find really great statement pieces, investing in great quality and timless style, but just buy based on price or on a whim.