Esteemed Contributor

At the end of last year, I counted how many batteries I would need for this year for my decorations.  140!  While I like the convenience of battery operated decorations, this is ridiculous.  I do buy my batteries at the dollar store which helps, and they,  for the most part, last the season.  Are you getting tired of buying batteries for Christmas decorations?

Honored Contributor

Re: So Many Batteries to Buy!

I buy my batteries at Sam's Club in a huge lot.  They last me forever.  When Christmas is over, I remove the batteries and put them in a plastic bag and store them with the item I removed them from.  I don't mix them up and keep them separate.

I use the same batteries for  several years before they need replaced.  I can't remember the last time I bought batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

So maybe my dollar store batteries are not such a good deal after all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't buy battery operated decorations for this reason. But I highly recommend you buy some Enerloop rechargeable batteries. They're much better than older rechargeable batteries and will stop you from dumping all those battery toxins into the landfill.

Enerloops come in AAA and AA sizes and then have packs of C or D cell spacers that you put a smaller battery into to power larger items. A-D batteries all have the same voltage, so you use 4 AA batteries and 4 D size holders to power an item that needs 4 D batteries. You can buy a pack of 4 AA or AAA batteries with or without a charger or buy a kit that comes with batteries and the converter holders.

Here's a video of someone unboxing the largest kit, the Super Power Pack. The Power Back has 4 fewer AA batteries. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqEG8LsQ1mE

Trusted Contributor

I buy the Sunbeam Dollar Tree batteries for everything EXCEPT the Luminara candles and lanterns.

They require the bad boys like Duracell or Energizer. I also buy the big pack at BJs or Sam's club.

I enjoy looking at the Luminara candles and forget to turn them off with the remote, so I probably replace them more often that I need to.

The Sunbeams do leak, so you must be mindful to change them out when they  run low.

Honored Contributor

Just for our smoke alarms and clocks this weekend I need 26 batteries - then there are the decorations! It does get expensive - batteries are not cheap.

Honored Contributor

I stock up when there is a sale.  C and D are on sale at Costco this month.  I also don't use the light feature on all things that have one.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, this is the draw back with lit decor items. I love them, but have found that I only buy them if I enjoy the look unlit as well as lit. This helps me to continue to use the item, even when I don't want to spend a lot of money on batteries.

We get our batteries at Sam's Club in the mega packs. I used to use rechargeable, but they were not lasting long, and didn't hold much of a charge over time. This was years ago, and think I will try again, to see if we can reduce the number of throw away batteries we are buying.

I've never found cheap brands or off brand batteries to be of any use. Only buy Duracells.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

So maybe my dollar store batteries are not such a good deal after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We always buy our batteries from the Dollar Tree and they last as long as we need for them to!

Super Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I stock up when there is a sale.  C and D are on sale at Costco this month.  I also don't use the light feature on all things that have one.

@GCR18 I do the same, stock up on sale!