Honored Contributor

Re: No Juneteenth Merchandise

From what I have read and heard from friends is a lot of people who celebrate don't want to see it commercialized and diluted as Christmas has been for mass marketing.  

I certainly understand that.  And I thought it was supposed to be a celebration of what you have and where you have come generationally.  Least as it was explained to me.

Respected Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

While it may be a new holiday to some, Juneteenth has been celebrated for over 150 years. Some of my friends' families have celebrated for generations. With federal recognition, most large retailers offer merchandise similar to that offered for other Summer holidays--decorations, place settings, clothing, memorabilia, etc.

Then I really don't get what the issue is. Type in 'flag' or 'star' in the q search bar and a lot of items come up in various categories. Retailers keep the same merch out from May past July 4th so Juneteenth would be covered as part of the summer holidays as you described it. Perhaps you're just finding fault where none exists?

Esteemed Contributor

People could find fault with any retailer if they look hard enough.  Personally, I will not support Target and their offering of women's bathing suits that accomodate men's equipment.....if you get my gist.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

While it may be a new holiday to some, Juneteenth has been celebrated for over 150 years. Some of my friends' families have celebrated for generations. With federal recognition, most large retailers offer merchandise similar to that offered for other Summer holidays--decorations, place settings, clothing, memorabilia, etc.

Then I really don't get what the issue is. Type in 'flag' or 'star' in the q search bar and a lot of items come up in various categories. Retailers keep the same merch out from May past July 4th so Juneteenth would be covered as part of the summer holidays as you described it. Perhaps you're just finding fault where none exists?

@ThinkingOutLoud There is no "flag" or "star" associated with Juneteenth. I simply searched for it as I would any holiday, by name. Perhaps you don't know, or care to know, enough about it to offer advice.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

What @Love to Run says it true.  I am a shade darker than Wonderbread and went to a Juneteenth celebration 35 years ago.  The mom of a co-worker invited me.  I didn't know about Juneteenth before that invitation.  Mrs. Butler spoke of her family that she knew when she was child that had been enslaved.  There were other elders that also spoke.  After that day I read everything I could find about it.  And then I read everything I could find by WEB DuBois. 

If one is open to receive, it can change how the world is viewed.  It did for me.      

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing😊

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Juneteenth Shirt Breaking Every Chain Since 1865 T-shirt image 1

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud There is no "flag" or "star" associated with Juneteenth. I simply searched for it as I would any holiday, by name. Perhaps you don't know, or care to know, enough about it to offer advice.

I did offer advice. You referred to "merchandise similar to that offered for other summer holidays" so flags and stars it is.

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

I did offer advice. You referred to "merchandise similar to that offered for other summer holidays" so flags and stars it is.

@ThinkingOutLoud Your flippant, disrespectful comments are so predictable, as are your motives behind them. Hanukkah and Christmas are both Winter holidays and Easter and Passover are both Spring holidays; surely you don't suggest that the merchandise is interchangeable.🙄

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Pretty soon we'll have at least 5 holidays a month. It has gotten out of hand with the creation of more and more holidays to celebrate. Can't people just be thankful and consider everyday of life a special day?  Celebrate in your own way the days that are of significance to you.

Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I can't believe QVC has absolutely no Juneteenth merchandise. I guess my dollars will be spent with Target and Amazon.

@Love to Run I've only heard of the holiday a few years ago.  What sort of merchandise is offered for Juneteenth?  Is there any special colors associated with the holiday?