Trusted Contributor

I can't believe QVC has absolutely no Juneteenth merchandise. I guess my dollars will be spent with Target and Amazon.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

Re: No Juneteenth Merchandise

What merch would you suggest for this new holiday?

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

it is actually not a "new holiday."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@sunshine45 for most of the population Juneteenth is a relativley new holiday.  I will admit the first time I heard about it was a few years ago.  I honestly don't know exactly when it was first celebrated on a wide scale.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Federally speaking it is. I never got the day off before.

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4 @ThinkingOutLoud @sunshine45 

This is a new "holiday". It just became a federal holiday a couple years ago.

When did Juneteenth become a U.S. holiday?

The day was first recognized as a federal holiday in 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law after the efforts of Lula Briggs Galloway, Opal Lee, and others.
Respected Contributor

@Love to Run It is nice that you have other options of where to shop.

I know not every retailer sells the things that I want, so I do have to shop around.

Trusted Contributor

While it may be a new holiday to some, Juneteenth has been celebrated for over 150 years. Some of my friends' families have celebrated for generations. With federal recognition, most large retailers offer merchandise similar to that offered for other Summer holidays--decorations, place settings, clothing, memorabilia, etc.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

While it may be a new holiday to some, Juneteenth has been celebrated for over 150 years. Some of my friends' families have celebrated for generations. With federal recognition, most large retailers offer merchandise similar to that offered for other Summer holidays--decorations, place settings, clothing, memorabilia, etc.

exactly what i was referring to @Love to Run .....while it may be a newer "federal holiday," it has been a holiday and celebrated for many years now. we do celebrate many holidays in our lives that are not tied to our federal calendar.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

What @Love to Run says it true.  I am a shade darker than Wonderbread and went to a Juneteenth celebration 35 years ago.  The mom of a co-worker invited me.  I didn't know about Juneteenth before that invitation.  Mrs. Butler spoke of her family that she knew when she was child that had been enslaved.  There were other elders that also spoke.  After that day I read everything I could find about it.  And then I read everything I could find by WEB DuBois. 

If one is open to receive, it can change how the world is viewed.  It did for me.