Respected Contributor

Just want some input. We are invited to Easter dinner with everyone assigned something to bring, My daughter is a picky eater. She did not see anything on the dessert list that she liked. She would like to make Brownies and bring them over. Should I ask the host if it is ok or just do it?

Honored Contributor

If the host is a good friend, you could do that. However, I'd tell my daughter that she should skip dessert if she doesn't see anything on the menu she is willing to try. You can't pamper her forever.

Respected Contributor

Our holiday dinners are always with family and we bring additional food items all the time.  If your daughter is assigned a dish to bring, she should not change it but bring the brownies in addition.

The more food the better, especially if you are attending a larger gathering!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@panda1234,

I would always ask the host but I do think brownies are always a very favorite for most.

If I was the host I would be happy with that suggestion. She/he may not have thought of it.

If I was your daughter, I would ask the host. That is just the thoughtful thing to do especially if the host made out a list. Maybe they were just suggestions but she/he? may have had certain preferences in mind.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Easter dinner

[ Edited ]

I would say to friend....looking forward to seeing you for Easter dinner.  I will bring (assigned dish).  If you need any extra desserts, my daughter loves to bake and would be happy to bring brownies.  If friend says ...no thanks we have plenty....tell daughter to make her brownies ....leave them at home and have one when you return.  This could be an opportunity for your daughter to try something new....she might be surprised and like it.

Esteemed Contributor

Since she is not baking for herself but for others IMO she should stick with something on the host's suggested list.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with many of these ladies.  Brownies may be suitable for some of the children, but the hostess may be "counting" on that dessert for her dessert choices.

Esteemed Contributor

The host made a carefully thought out menu. She may say it's ok to bring brownies but be insulted inside. Make the brownies leave them at home and when your daughter gets home eat them then. 

Respected Contributor

Never heard of being invited to dinner and " being assigned to bring something". I guess everyone does things differently. What if everyone decides to change their assigned dish? I imagine a grown up can go with one meal and not have dessert. When she gets home she can have whatever dessert she chooses.

Respected Contributor

It depends on the situation. If the host is a very close friend or relative it might be OK. But you should definitely bring the dish that you were assigned. If your daughter shows up with brownies the host may think it is a gift and put is aside and not on the dessert table. It might be awkward. Basically she is saying to the host I don't care for you selection of food. I really don't think is a good idea. 

If your daughter is an adult I would tell her that she can eat her brownies when she gets home. No one will force her to eat dessert at the dinner.