Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

We used to participate in an "orphans' Thanksgiving" with DH's carpool members where everyone was assigned a dish to bring. One woman was a great baker, so she always made the desserts. Since she didn't bring breads or rolls, I brought a couple of loaves of bread from a really good bakery in addition to my assigned dish. My reception was decidedly frosty. I'd hate to think what she would've done if I had brought a dessert. I didn't think to check ahead of time because I didn't think I would be stepping on anyone's toes. That taught me. 

@Eileen in Virginia WOW that is too funny. Were you ever tempted to bring a dessert? I guess your bread took the attention away from her stuff. 

@panda1234  I had thought about bringing a dessert the first time we went, but her desserts were so great (chocolate cheesecake, cream puffs, etc.), all made from scratch, that I ditched that idea right away. I really didn't think 2 loaves of bread would be a problem because she never made the breads or rolls, but I was wrong. 😕

@Eileen in Virginia People are funny when it comes to their baking, they take it personally.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

It depends on the situation. If the host is a very close friend or relative it might be OK. But you should definitely bring the dish that you were assigned. If your daughter shows up with brownies the host may think it is a gift and put is aside and not on the dessert table. It might be awkward. Basically she is saying to the host I don't care for you selection of food. I really don't think is a good idea. 

If your daughter is an adult I would tell her that she can eat her brownies when she gets home. No one will force her to eat dessert at the dinner. 

@50Mickey TShe woman is my son's MIL. We are bringing our assigned dishes this would be extra. There will be young children there so they most likely will be eaten. 

@panda1234     Since the host is your son's MIL I would definitely call and just ask if she would like to have an extra dessert of brownies. If she she yes then OK. But please ask your daughter NOT to add nuts to the recipe especially as there will be young children there. You never know when a child with a nut allergy might spy the brownies and help themselves.

Hope you have a great time at the dinner.

@50Mickey I never include nuts in anything taken out of the house, too many allergies.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

We used to participate in an "orphans' Thanksgiving" with DH's carpool members where everyone was assigned a dish to bring. One woman was a great baker, so she always made the desserts. Since she didn't bring breads or rolls, I brought a couple of loaves of bread from a really good bakery in addition to my assigned dish. My reception was decidedly frosty. I'd hate to think what she would've done if I had brought a dessert. I didn't think to check ahead of time because I didn't think I would be stepping on anyone's toes. That taught me. 

@Eileen in Virginia WOW that is too funny. Were you ever tempted to bring a dessert? I guess your bread took the attention away from her stuff. 

@panda1234  I had thought about bringing a dessert the first time we went, but her desserts were so great (chocolate cheesecake, cream puffs, etc.), all made from scratch, that I ditched that idea right away. I really didn't think 2 loaves of bread would be a problem because she never made the breads or rolls, but I was wrong. 😕

@Eileen in Virginia People are funny when it comes to their baking, they take it personally.

@panda1234  You can say that again! I also bake from scratch, but not to the extent that she did. Maybe she thought I was challenging her. As I said, I didn't make that mistake again.