Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a special ornament or one with a special meaning?

I have one, an old open ornament with the nativity inside that we have used most of our married life. But, most of my most important keepsakes are items that are my everyday pieces, furniture, dishes and other decor that I inherited from people that I loved.

Honored Contributor

I have a Christopher Radko ornament that I received many years ago.  It's a large ornament of a 'Lion and a Lamb' which has always been special to me.  I don't put it on the tree but rather have it on an ornament stand beside two other CR ornaments.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a very few of the ornaments that were on my dad's tree when he was a child. 

They're in a glass dish on a shelf.  They're tissue paper thin!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have quite a few sentimental ornaments ---

There are a few that my mom bought many years ago made by Shiny Brite......some whose paint, glitter and snow have faded but still get a special place on my tree....and also abbell shaped one......

Ceramic ornaments that my aunt painted and varnished---she was very talented.....A Santa holding a cat in a stocking, and another Santa in a Christmas wreath.....

There are a couple a friend who passed away with cancer gave to me.....a Redskin ornment and an angel......

Since my mom, aunt, and friend have all passed away so these are very very special....

And my dear sister gave me the Hallmark Heritage Angel ornament this year that I had been eyeing.....

Those are some of the special ones......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have five ornaments that were on the tree when I was little girl. My dad would come home with different ones every year. They are so special. One is plastic and has a spinner in the middle. One night Ilooked up and it was turning slightly. Told DH to look and he said it was the heat that made it move. It was not near the heat. To me it was a special moment.

Trusted Contributor

I have a tiny glass, I am sure its original mercury glass, Santa, that my grandmother sent to my mother when my dad was stationed in Hawaii. I had three, but I am down to one. It's been on my tree almost every Christmas.

I say almost, because one year I could not find the box it was in. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every ornament I own has a history. They mean the world to me and occasionally when one breaks it breaks my heart as well. Some came over with my ancestors from Germany. Some have been gifts from friends. Some I cross stitched and my Mom mounted them in an ornament the first year I was a young bride. Some belonged to DH's family. Our Christmas tree is so much more to us than just decorating  -- it is a reflection of our roots. I took the tree down yesterday, carefully wrapping each ornament in bubble wrap then each one has it's own box.It takes me all day but is worth the effort to be certain they are as safe as possible. It is awesome to me that some of my ornaments were touched by my grandmother's grandmother - or maybe even further back than that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most all of my ornaments have significance. Over the years I have received ornaments from loved ones or purchased them on vacation, many of them with place names and dates. It's a hodge podge but tells my story. I tried a theme tree one year with ornaments bought new and it left me feeling empty. This year I realised I had so many lovely birds I could have a theme and memories too. Loved it.

@Imadickens this is a nice thread. 

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

Most all of my ornaments have significance. Over the years I have received ornaments from loved ones or purchased them on vacation, many of them with place names and dates. It's a hodge podge but tells my story. I tried a theme tree one year with ornaments bought new and it left me feeling empty. This year I realised I had so many lovely birds I could have a theme and memories too. Loved it.

@Imadickens this is a nice thread. 

Buying ornaments on vacation is my favorite thing to do! Sadly, I lose a few each year due to my dogs and the hardwood floors, so when I get too low I buy a pack locally until I build up my collection again! The vacation ornaments only have one criteria: they must have lots of glitter and they need to look like they are made of glass. That's only my big tree. My "family" tree has no rules, just things I love!  I imagine your bird themed tree would be beautiful!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

I have a tiny glass, I am sure its original mercury glass, Santa, that my grandmother sent to my mother when my dad was stationed in Hawaii. I had three, but I am down to one. It's been on my tree almost every Christmas.

I say almost, because one year I could not find the box it was in. LOL

What I did with a situation like that was get an ornament hanger and display it in my china cabinet. I worry about losing something so precious!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.