Respected Contributor

Do you have a special ornament or one with a special meaning?

I imagine we all love and cherish the ornaments our kids make over the years. I have several that I am particularly fond of, but one makes me cry every year.

My mil died on March 8, 1999. October of 1999 my mother, who had fought cervical cancer two years prior, began feeling sick. She had trouble breathing and was being treated with Cortisone and finally needed oxygen all the time. She was getting weaker, lost weight and went in for a lung biopsy in November. She continued going downhill and I couldn't help but be worried. The previous Christmas was Hell with my mil so ill. It took its toll on the family. My DD was away at college and my other child, my ds, was only 10 years old. I tried to keep how worried I was from him, but as my mom lived with us, and she had always been my soul mate, it was hard to not let him know how scared I was.

The day he had art class for the last time before Christmas he brought home something all wrapped up for me. (He always thought about others! He was in first grade and his teacher ran "Town" ever Friday afternoon. Each child had a job, got a salary, and could spend what they had left after paying taxes, etc. Kids ran shops like Nail salons where girls could get nails done, a "cafe" sold treats, and parents sent in items for a variety store. My do always brought home something for me, my mother, or his sister! He never got anything for himself, even tho I begged him to!) I figured he had gotten something from Town for me so I put it under the tree to open with the other presents.

Christmas Eve, my ds asked why I didn't like what he made me! I reminded him I like to keep all my things to open Christmas morning. He told me it was FOR Christmas not a present. So, I opened it and found a large piece of Eucalyptus entwined with red yarn, cinnamon, and mini pine cones. It had a sting to hand it with. It really was beautiful and I began to cry. He hugged me and said, " Mommy, hang this on the tree and we won't have any more troubles, ever again!" 

I guess even tho I hadn't told him that my mother was ill, much less terminal, he knew I was sad. I tried to keep things upbeat and normal, as did my mother, who didn't know how bad it was until after Christmas. My do just knew we all needed something to take away out troubles!

I don't know how I forget about it each year, but when I open the box and unwrap that ornament every year, I still cry! It's been nearly 20 years but the tremendous empathy my little boy had at a time when it was most important, still blows my mind! My mother died February 22, 2000, just one week after his birthday. With my DD away at college I can honestly say I could not have made it through any of it without him! I have been so greatly blessed with my two children and my granddaughter! We have always been an extremely close family and have been through more bad times than I want to recount. But, even tho we have had all the bad times, we have had good times, too. Not one of the good times would have even mattered if my family hadn't been there to share the good with me.

I hate to do it, but I will wrap the ornament up very carefully again, put it away, and cry again next year when I see it again! Happy and healthy new year to all and may all of us never have "troubles ever again!"

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a special ornament or one with a special meaning?

I have one that was my favorite as a child. Since I'm in my 60's, I can't believe it is still intact. It's a small , red glass ornament, with a village done in flocking. Some of the white has worn off, but I cherish it because it was from  my childhood.  Every year it gets wrapped carefully.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

No, I have other things around the house that give me daily reminders of family members no longer with us.

Trusted Contributor

We have eliminated all our old glass ornaments back when we had fur babies, as they were too breakable (some were my parents' ornaments--gave them to the grandkids). I have one ornament that I had custom painted for us at a street fair the year we got married that is special. Also have a lot of beautiful angels that are beautiful and special to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few ornaments that my daughter made for us while she was growing up and they have a special place in my heart!

The one ornament that moves me to tears is an ornament that we gave to my Mom when she became a grandmother for the very first time, sadly two more beautiful children were born into our family that she would never meet, she passed away when my daughter was just 4 years old!

So when HER ornament comes out at Christmas we take a moment to reflect on Christmas Pasts, and remember the beautiful soul that was our mother!

Frequent Contributor

I have one glass ornament that my parents had, should be over 35 years old now.  The other is a simple plastic ornament that my husband and I got when we were first married.  That was over 23 years ago.  It mean all the more to me now since he died last last year.  Many Blessings...

Honored Contributor

I have too many with special meanings. There are the two bird cage ornaments that my parents bought in a five and ten in Woodbury the first year they got married. There are the old glass beads that have been passed down in my father's family for years. There are a set of four cherubs that my Mom bought many years ago and loved. I could go on and on, but suffice to say, my tree is filled with memories.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I have a number of ornaments that fit this description. 

My ornaments fall into several categories. I have about a half dozen boxes of Thomas Pacconi ornaments that my mom gifted me, and they are special because of that, I do one tree with nothing but those and while I love them and they are special, they aren't the most precious.

We have a rather large collection of those ornaments you collect over a lifetime that are just a mix of things, no theme, no color scheme, some from generations past, some gifted by friends, some made by kids when they are little, some picked up on special trips or vacations.  Among those I find a few that I treasure most. The pine cone drenched in blue and silver glitter, the first one my son made in pre-K (followed closely by an array of other handmade treasured simplistic child crafted memories), some beaded bells made by my great aunt who was more like my grandma, a beautiful ceramic ornament with a church made by my grandma, the plastic horn that was given to me my first Christmas for the tree, a bird's nest that I made in Sunday school as a young child, a couple of stained glass pieces made by my great uncle, and the list could go on. 

Probably over half of my ornaments could be disposed of, if I had to, but there are just some that I never want to let go of.

Honored Contributor

I have one that is a ceramic dog bone with a little wreath around it and my dog's name on it!  It is in memory of my sweet puppy who we lost quite a few years ago.  it is always the first one we put on the tree and it goes front and center!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I have three. And, they always go on the front side of the tree,

One - an angel with a little girl standing on one side of her and a little boy standing on the other side - this represents me as a mom protecting both my children

Two - a polar bear with a wreath around its neck - this is for my daughter, she always and still does love polar bears

Three - a Merlin wizard - this is for my son - I remember when he first saw it and thought it was the coolest thing ever

-Texas Hill Country-