Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Have Your New Years Day Menu?

@ECBG Thanks!  This sounds great and puts me in the mind of bananas foster or bread pudding.  I wonder if this would work with bread pudding.

Honored Contributor

This year it's just me and a few friends. We're getting traditional Japanese New Year's food, osechi ryori, from a takeout menu. That's basically several stacked bento boxes with assorted food. It's quite elaborate so I have to place my order a few days in advance. I'm ordering it from a new restaurant so I don't know what to expect. Could be in for a surprise!

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

@ECBG  You captured many of the good luck foods with witch I am familiar.   I dont eat pork but your herbs and spices would seem to enhance the meat with a savory tast.  I will cook greens either a mixture of turnips, spinach and mustards with the turnip bottoms or collards.  Either will be seasoned with salt, red pepper, and a small amount of smoked turkey,  I may cook hoppin john or red beans and rice along with a winter salad. Seafood dish or  chicken will serve as my protein.  My dessert is a coconut cake with cream cheese frosting that I ordered from Ina Garten through Gold Belly.  I may just order Chinese food and not think about the cooking.

How do you prepare the Kahlua sweert potatoes?  That sounds fantastic.

@Zernia Rose 

For a flavor variation of @ECBG's recipe, I have one for Jack Daniels that everyone always raves about:

Jack Daniels Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 long strip orange peel

1/3 cup bourbon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 3 to 4 inch cinnamon stick

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup brown sugar

3 cups water

4 large sweet potatoes

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake at 400° for one hour, until potatoes are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly then remove skin from potatoes.  

Reduce oven temperature to 350°. While the potatoes are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.  
Slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick into a medium casserole dish. Pour syrup over them and return to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.  

Tip: To make this dish faster, bake potatoes the night before, leave skin on and throw in the refrigerator until ready to use.  
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@ECBGYour career sounds exciting.  I have souithern roots also.  My mother put a small pinch of baking soda in her collards; I can't remember her explanation for why.  A friend recommended adding a small amount 1 or 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar and diced onions to collards. It was quite tasty.  Southern foods are having a moment.  On my list of cookbooks to purchase is one from Edna Lewis and Karla Hall.  I am also buying Karla's children's book about making cornbread with her grandmother.   If you have access to Cleo TV, then take a look at J. J. Field's cooking show; you might enjoy it.  It's a nice balance of talk with guests, drink recipes, cooking techniques, and food preparation.  In the future, I hope to have a chance to attend the food and culture conference held at the University of Mississippi.

Esteemed Contributor

Nutrisystem 😉

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom I have two sweet potatoes and may try your and ECBG's recipes.  I will need to by the two different liquors. Both seem great and I may need to add some challah bread and raisins for a modified bread pudding.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy It will be WW for me starting about 1/04/22.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus 

We are having New Years dinner  the next day!  I wasn't thinking and forgot to take the day off!  

You are certainly invited!

Here is Christmas dinner.

DSCN0513.JPG

Honored Contributor

One person + 2 dogs and I need a menu?  Do I have to post it for all to see?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose    Baking soda keeps your greens from turning brown

An "old fashioned" but not a good idea, since it adds sodium, and destroys vitamins.

♥Surface of the Sun♥