Honored Contributor

What Are Your New Year’s Traditions?

The week is going fast. Here are my mother's and my grandmother's, which I still follow! 

New Year's Eve:

A little herring on a cracker at midnight. This one I watched my parents do every year, and I would cringe, while my mom put a teeny bit on a saltine cracker for me. Here we substitute smoked oysters. 

We put money under the mat and bring it in January 1, so we will be bringing money in all year.

New Year's Day

Blackeyed peas - for luck. One year we were coming back from Disney World on the auto train. I had packed a can in my carry on bag. When we went to the dining car to eat I asked if they would open it for us. They did and we each had a spoonful of cold blackeyed peas. Well, I might have had a few more- I love these and eat them frequently! 

We can't eat chicken or turkey because, according to my grandmother, "chicken scratches backwards." We want to move forward. We usually have pork and greens. 

We can't wash clothes or we will wash our troubles around and around and they won't leave. I know this is a different "meaning" from the most common one, but this was my grandmother's explanation!

My own "tradition" is this. I sleep in! DH has probably already been out and picked up donuts, so anyone up can snack on these. He is anxiously awaiting the many Bowl games. I usually wake up in time to see the Rose Parade!  After that is over I start dinner. 

So what are some of yours?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Your New Year’s Traditions?

[ Edited ]

My mother would always make navy beans and ham and all the family would go over to her house.

Sometimes we were so tired we would just want to sleep in.  Maybe she did too!

It was always a nice kind of grounding experience, where a lot of our family knew every New Years Day we would be together.

I used to make sure the house was clean and everything put away but haven't done that nor want to for many years. And We used to give a small gift to each child.

All these traditions are interesting.

For me the less there is scheduled, the better for me. I like to play a lot by ear, though I know that is not always possible.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I've never had any.

Honored Contributor

Don't really have too many.  My Mom would always make a pork roast with apples and cabbage for New Year's Day dinner.  This was a must for good luck!  We used to stay up and watch the ball drop and have a toast. The only thing which I now do is on New Year's Eve, DH and I usually have a shrimp ring and maybe one drink to toast!  On New Year's Day we may or may not have pork roast and cabbage, but we always have one of those soft iced "pretzels".  Other than that, nothing really.  No resolutions either -- a waste of time as I never keep them.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

It's a family birthday so chocolate birthday cake and a party. We've also done grapes at midnight. Not me. I prefer not to choke. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   We don't have any other than to reflect on the past and what we want might to manifest in the New Year.  But I really enjoyed reading your family's traditions.  I have never heard of most and the "chicken scratches backwards" was a colorful and interesting way to move forward in the New Year.  What fun and treasured memories you have of your New Year activities.  Thank you for your shareHeart

Esteemed Contributor

Never had any either. New Years Day is just another day to maybe get a nap in because the stupid neighbors were setting off fireworks all night.

Honored Contributor

Daddy always believed that you must eat pork on New Years Day for luck.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on New Year's Day. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

Honored Contributor

Maybe I was told but I don't remember ever learning why we ate some form of pork on New years Day. Now I know! 

But don't eat it anymore.

Funny how traditions start isn't it?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"