Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have Your New Years Day Menu?

@Desertdi wrote:

@Zernia Rose    Baking soda keeps your greens from turning brown

An "old fashioned" but not a good idea, since it adds sodium, and destroys vitamins.

@Desertdi @Zernia Rose 

I have never had greens turn brown from cooking.

Respected Contributor

I'll be making a pork loin roast, collard and turnip greens for money and black eyed peas for luck in the New Year and corn bread. 

Respected Contributor

Just me and my husband again.

antipasto

lasagna with prosciutto bread, good olive oil and pecorino cheese

prosecco

spumoni for dessert

I will pick up my spumoni tomorrow! 

Respected Contributor

As of now we're having blackeyed peas, cabbage and cornbread.might some greens.  No meat has been decided yet.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Thank you.

I was confusing the rub with the roasting method. "roast uncovered...really cover the roast"  My only excuse is...uhh, must have been having a senior moment!🤪

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

I am by myself so actually I was thinking of ordering a pizza. LOL I may not even get that as we are expected to get freezing rain, snow and frigid temperatures starting early NYD.  Woman LOL

Enjoy whatever you do and be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was very young, my mother started a tradition of having New Year's Day be a time for loved ones to gather and just relax and chat and snack all day (rather than indulging in a large meal) to kick off the new year with as little fuss as possible, and it's something I've carried forward. We create a large charcuterie spread to put out at noon with plenty of meats, cheeses, crackers/breads, fruits, and accompaniments, and everyone just helps themselves throughout the afternoon. Around dinnertime, people usually disperse, and those of us who are left share a nice pot of soup (almost always chicken noodle, but sometimes bean with bacon) and then watch a fun movie. The holidays leading up to New Year's Day are sometimes stressful, so this day focused on relaxation is very welcome.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc, I love your tradition. i don't care about having a big meal on New Years Day as it is just myself. 

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

Totally get it!  Sometimes things hit me what and I have to go back!  lol!  

Happy New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN - That's actually the great thing about my mom's tradition: Whether you're feeding one person or a dozen people, it's easy to adjust quantities and still have a nice, relaxing day. I'm really looking forward to my three-person gathering this year. Smiley Happy