QVC Social Team

Hello Everyone! Courtney Cason was recently in the Atrium here at the Q asking people if they remember their very first handbag. Here is a link to the video with a few gals at the Q describing theirs;

Handbag Video

After you check it out, come back and post about your first handbag. 

Honored Contributor

The first one I remember I was 12-13 and it was a curved bottom saddle bag in brown tooled leather with flowers and a brass curved latch. I bought it at the swap meet. It looked somewhat similar to this one. 

il_570xN.755930664_a4bx.jpg

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: Fun Handbag question!

[ Edited ]

I do! There is photographic evidence. I was about 4 or 5 years old. It was a red crossbody saddle bag! LOL. 

My mom would go crazy looking for it all night when I would 'lose' it and would plead with me to go to bed saying it would turn up in the morning. The next day, she would find it in the fridge next to the peanut butter where I had put my sticky fingers. LOL. 

~Live with Intention~
Occasional Contributor

My first handbag was a little hand held bag, in a greenish/gray color. My father bought if for me when I was a year old.  I carried that bag everywhere and stuffed it until the seems came undone. My mother kept throwing it in the garbage, but my father kept taking it out and finally put it somewhere she couldn't find it.  After my father passed away my mother gave it to me.  I still have it to this day. I put it in a shadow box and having it hanging in my TV room.  It is 54 years old.  I have been a lover of handbags and collecting them ever since.         

Respected Contributor

Yes, & what a blast from the past.  It was southwestern style hand-tooled leather wristlet that my maternal grandmother gave me for Christmas when I was about 9 years old (a lonnngggg time ago).  She had a great sense of humor & put a few things in it that were like what she had in her handbag:  a handkerchief (not wadded Kleenex!), some loose change, bobby pins, gum, an almost-empty tube of lipstick & a cigarette.  Well, in those days people thought it was OK to smoke - no, I did not smoke it.

Wish I had that wristlet, & my Grandmother, back again.  Sigh...

Honored Contributor

Hmmm, the first handbags I really remember are the ones I received when I made my first Communion.

That was in the late 60's so me finding a picture of them, especially the daytime bag is next to impossible.

My daytime bag looked like this. 

My evening, who am I kidding, my afternoon bag, for the communion party looked something like this:

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

As a little girl, I loved "pocketbooks", and always had several well used adult cast offs in my playhouse.   My first pocketbooks were the clear plastic ones in the toy department from G C Murphys that came with a comb, plastic lipstick, plastic bangle bracelet, etc.   

My first real purse was bought as part of my Easter outfit when I was 5 1/2, and is in my cedar chest.   It is white plastic with a short handle, slightly bigger than a 5x7 picture frame, snap top, and on the front behind a clear layer of plastic is 5 pink rosettes.  I still love that little purse after 55 years.   

Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh @Bird mama.  I have the exact same communion handbag you have pictured. ( Top pic.)  It came with a rosary in a little case and a child's bible and a pin.  That wasn't even my first handbag, however.  My mother gave me an orange patent Betsy bag.  Wish I still had that one too.

Honored Contributor

@Buckaroo2

Yea, mine came with a prayer book and rosary.  Nice memories.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Image result for 1970's denim handbags

Image result for 1970's denim handbags

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."