Valued Contributor

I hope some of you can help me. I have some Doony's from the 80's/90's and the leather is still great. I just bought (from the Q) a D&B Saffiano purse. I am very surprised at the leather, it doesn't smell like leather and it seems like it is bonded to cardboard. The purse is too expensive to keep when I am so unhappy with it. My old Doony's are pebble leather (I think) which I remember being the only choice. Is Saffiano leather always like this?  The vendor and host led me to believe it was a superior leather which is clearly not the case with my purse.  All comments are appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

I'm no leather expert but Saffiano leather reminds me of the cheap vinyl from which a Walmart handbag would be made.  I don't care for it.  The first time I saw it, I would have sworn it was plastic.  The people who like it seems to really love it saying it's durable, easy to clean, lightweight, etc.  Dooney makes bags using other, more recognizable leathers like pebble and Florentine which is smooth so don't give up on them.  Just chose another bag and avoid the Saffiano like I do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Raider Fan  hi I only have one saffiano leather handbag - a zip zip satchel and the leather is very different than pebble leather or florentine. I dont think it feels like plastic at all. But I agree it's not liked by everybody. Since you're used to the older styles I think you would love another bag in pebble leather or florentine.

Honored Contributor

You probably have the All Weather leather. Saffiano is what it is, either you like it or you don't. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@Raider Fan

I appreciated your commentary as well as your question.  You are absolutely right about the quality of Dooney's leather.  It has definitely gone downhill.  They can spin it all they want, but the Saffiano leather is some sort of blended leather that, yes, is easy to clean (like plastic), but is in no way a fine leather.  I don't mind the pebble leather, but that is as far as I will go.  Just yesterday I ordered from the Dooney website because I am afraid the Florentine will no longer be offered, or if it is, it will be a tote or a drawstring type of bag.  I have several Dooneys, and I don't mind paying for quality, but I have noticed a decline lately.  Another spin, the cheaper rubber 'feet".  Not anything I would like.

Respected Contributor

Re: D&B Leather Question

[ Edited ]

I havent seen a saffiano leather either in Dooney or Coach that I like.  What i do like is the coated cotton, particularly the Sutton line.  A salesperson at Coach told me a couple of years ago that to do saffiano they split the hide so it is half the thickness of say a pebble leather.  I don't like these saffiano-like embossed leathers either.  And count me as another anti rubber feet customer.  You can sanitize the metal feet, rubber not really.  

Honored Contributor

I can't even remember what brand, but I looked at a saffiano leather bag at Macys yesterday.  Not something I would pay big money for. 

I did walk past their Dooney selection, so if Dooney is the only company selling saffiano, it would have been theirs.  If it's not exclusive to them, I can't begin to say whose it was.

Esteemed Contributor

@Raider Fan

I have many leather bags and many pebbled leather bags , coated cotton, nylon, denim,denier nylon and in saffiano leather 2 Coach  one Dooney and absolutely love them - the are light, trendy, hold their shape and they a great addition to my collection.

That being said if you do not love a bag it has to be returned to many beautiful bags to pick from.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for Saffiano either.  I think it feels like plastic.

Honored Contributor

I agree with several of you ladies! I don't care for the saffiano either. I only buy Dooney's in pebble and florentine and have been very happy with my purchases!