Honored Contributor

I have 3 pots of succulents that I would like to plant in the ground.  There are a few hens and chicks and I do not know the names of the other plants.

Usually I put the pots in the garage but I want to leave them outdoors this year....would someone more knowledgeable than me confirm that the plants should be Ok in the ground outside....I am in the midwest, thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Google succulents - but what little I know - an old friend up near the Canadian boarder always had hen & chicks in her flower garden and they multipled and multiplied and _________.  LOL  I've never been a fan of them; but guess they are hardy little buggers!

Respected Contributor

In upstate NY, I had hens/chicks for years thart did just fine every winter.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We bought hens and chicks a few years back and have two remaining. They did great at first but I think too much mulch probably smothered the rest.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I live in Zone 5-b and have Autumn Joy Sedum which I trim back to about 2" after the first hard frost. It returns each year and is a hardy perennial that requires no mulching. I do keep it from spreading each Spring or it would become invasive. That's the only succulent in my yard. The bees and butterflies adore it in late summer and fall (right now). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.