Trusted Contributor

It's August in Washington state so roll up your windows and lock your doors!

If you don't, you may open your car door one day and find a pile of zuchinis!

Honored Contributor

Re: It's August in Washington state so roll up your windows and lock your doors!

I don't understand, please say it slower and louder to me, SC

Trusted Contributor

Re: It's August in Washington state so roll up your windows and lock your doors!

[ Edited ]

It's a joke.

Zuchinis grow like weeds around here and for some reason, a lot of people plant WAY more than they need. So they sneak around at night with the excess and get rid of them by putting them in unlocked cars--that's the joke.

Heck, I even found TURNIPS growing in my garden today that I NEVER planted; they were probably deposited by bird or animal poop. This cool, rainy but warm-summer climate seems to really agree with any kind of vegetable.

ETA: I did a little checking, and it turns out that what I found in my garden is actually a RUTABAGA, rather than a turnip; I still have no idea how it got here. And I also found a recipe for a rutabaga PIE, which I'm dying to try.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace  Well, I thought it was funny!  In NE Ohio, it's been a hot, humid and dry summer.  This is the first time I've lost all my snapdragons in my planters.  I watered them, but they all died after one bloom.  I couldn't see any pests on them.  I suppose I'd die too if I had to spend the whole day on that hot enclosed patio, though.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I live in Washington state now but I used to live in Southern California.  Bags of zucchini used to magically appear on my doorstep there.

Honored Contributor

I forgot how many zuchini plants we bought. So far not one zuchini but the vines are beautiful.  Still waiting for our first tomato. Went away for a few days. There were several tomatoes that were a light orange before we left. Now they are all gone.

Glad we are keeping the neighborhood animals well feed this year.

Enjoy your zuchini.

Honored Contributor

Here in West Virginia, bags of zucchini are left in break rooms at work, and even laundry mats as people try to get rid of the bounty.   

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I live in Washington state now but I used to live in Southern California.  Bags of zucchini used to magically appear on my doorstep there.

lol!

Trusted Contributor

I once forgot all about the zuchinnis I had planted and ended up with fruits that were the size and weight of baseball bats. Needless to say, they were completely useless so into the compost pile they went. I'm just lucky none of their seeds sprouted.

Honored Contributor

Really funny!! However--I must be the only one in the whole world that can't grow zucchini to save my sole. I live in western wa, and planted 4 or 5  plants and got ---maybe----3 smallish ones---that was a few years ago. My tomatos were a joke too---but my lilies were spectacular!!!