Esteemed Contributor

Chow time...Fall has arrived

It has cooled off here in Nova Scotia.  Risk of frost in some areas of the Province.  One of the first signs of Fall here is making chow.  We did two batches today so tomorrow will be spent at the stove cooking and bottling.

Happy Fall everyone!  LM

776D8A99-AE99-423C-9B8A-3C29A08164A7.jpeg

B3AC774C-BC48-4FCC-B0B1-B0A322E065C4.jpeg

1F29D7B8-A297-41B8-AEFC-A634EFEA4CB1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Chow time...Fall has arrived

@LilysmomMMMMM -  that looks like good eating ahead! So pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy Harvest! 😉 That looks like something I could garnish everything with (I had to look it up).

I'd love to see a photo of the finished jars.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom----As always a beautiful presentation!!!   What is chow, a different name for cold slaw?  Tomatoe and lettuce?  I have never heard of chow, just in "Let's chow down or dog chow.---------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

Your chow looks great but I have never heard of it. My mom and aunts used to can chow chow this time of year. it was pickled green tomatoes, cabbage, onions and green pepper. Is yours pickled, too? Curious that yours is a a single chow while mine is a double.
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom You are one busy lady. Your gardens are absolutely gorgeous and the chow looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing and for making most of us drool!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom.   Is it a sort of relish?  Whatever it is, it's bright, colorful and very appealing

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you don’t post the recipe, a lot of us will be upset! @Lilysmom It looks yummy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom@Kachina624@OKPrincess@PinkyPetunia@tedEbear@sweetbay@steelmagnolia54@millieshops, some call it chow, some call it chow chow.  Here is Wikipedia ‘s definition...

Chow-chow (also spelled chowchow or chow chow) is a North American pickled relish. ... These ingredients are pickled in a canning jar. After preserving, chow-chow is served cold, often as a condiment or relish.

My father always had a huge vegetable garden.  Every spring one of the local farmers came with a tractor and plowed the garden field in prep for planting.  I come from a large family (I am number 8 of ten children).  My mother always made preserves.  Chow chow, relishes, pickled beets, jams  were an annual event.

We eat chow with roasts, shops, steak, etc.  We would never think of putting on a turkey dinner without all the preserves.

What you see above is 40 lbs, 30 of green tomatoes, ten of onions and 8 red peppers.  A double batch.  The yield for each batch is 12-15 bottles depending on bottle size.

Here is the recipe:

15 lbs of green tomatoes

5 pounds of onions

4 red peppers

Dice, sprinkle 1 cup of coarse salt through the vegetables, let sit over nite.

The next day, drain off excess water.  In a large stock pot, add vegetables, 4 cups of vinegar, 5 cups of sugar, pickling spice wrapped in cheese cloth.   Simmer 3-4 hours.  Bottle in sterilized bottles while hot.

We go into production today.  I will post the finished product.  LM

PS, thank heavens for food processors.  We used to do all this by hand!

PS, in case anyone copied the recipe earlier, the vinegar is 4 cups and the sugar is 5 cups.  Had them reversed earlier.  Hopefully anyone that saw this earlier will use the correct amounts as adjusted above.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom:  I am very Southern and my dad loved chow chow on his vegetables?  Is this the same?  I don't think it tasted pickled though.  Beautiful!!