Honored Contributor

I went on the Rootblast website & from their FAQs was this:

Q: What is the product's Composition / What does it contain?

A: It contains 2% nitrogen, 1% phosphate, 2% soluble potash and a proprietary formulation of over a DOZEN major and minor micronutrients. NOTE: The range between beneficial and harmful amounts of trace elements is very narrow. Do not mix ROOTBLAST® with other fertilizers or amended soils or mixes.

So it is a 2:1:2 of NPK. 

@phoenixbrd I wouldn’t use this on your roses. Roses need much more nitrogen & phosphorus than this product offers during their growing season. They need something like Espoma Rose Tone which has a 4:3:2 ratio which is applied monthly during the growing season (in my area [hardiness zone 7] from end of April to the end of August).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

JustJazzmom:  Thank you so much.  You are always so informative and helpful.  I live on the East Coast and have used he Esponosa, the stuff from Cottage Farms, Miracle Grow for roses, nothing seems to make a difference.  I put down manure around the plants in the spring along with some additional soil. I don't know what I am doing wrong but my roses grow ok but not like they show in the ads.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals Are the blooms small? When it’s early spring, are you removing the winter damaged canes/stems to where they are the diameter size of a pencil? Sometimes depending on the Rose, if the smaller than pencil stems remain, the roses are smaller. 

Also with extreme heat waves even with properly watering, the flowers can be smaller than normal. 

Many of my roses look the best with the first flush (our area around early to mid June & again by September when the temps start to cool down). I find during the summer that they bloom, but not as spectacularly as that very first flush. I’m just happy that most of my roses now have very little disease setting in early sumner. I start to see blackspot & anthracnose in late August & that is on certain roses. 

When I had mostly English roses, they got a lot of blackspot & of course leaf drop. I have switched now to mostly Kordes roses & the majority of my roses are now fragrant. 

I only have 2 remaining of English roses — orange Pat Austin & apricot Tamora. Tamora will be dug out this spring & sold at a plant sale like those other roses I had & replaced with a Kordes Cubana rose — apricot & fragrant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Re: Rootblast - Question

[ Edited ]

JustJazzmom:  My roses seem to be like yours so I guess I am not doing anything wrong but am at the mercy of the weather.  Our roses grow very lush and beautiful in May/June but as soon as the heat arrives in July and Aug. they seem to stop.  Black spot appears (especially if we get a lot of rain and especially if it rains at night).  As you mentioned, we had no luck with the English Roses.  They would just not grow fully.  So I will try my best but as with everything in the garden, no matter how much tlc we give the plants and vegies, we are still at the mercy of the weather.  I just cannot wait for the end of May so I can plant our tomatoes!