Honored Contributor

Re: Photos of Oak Trees

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@GingerPeach

Here in the Northeast, we also have Pin oaks which are infamous for their leaves remaining on the trees all winter long and then shedding in the springtime.

Quercus palustris or pin oak leaf:

Hi @JustJazzmom

We have pin oaks, too.  I haven't yet looked up to see whether they are indigenous (my computer is being sluggish), but they are frequently planted.  They've always been one of my favorites.  I like their often-horizontal branching.  My closest Whole Foods has them in the parking lot, and since I'm right "there" a lot, I'll sometimes pick up some of those distinctive fallen leaves and take them home for autumn decor.

ETA: These trees are native to your areas but used as landscaping plants here.  I try to use the leaves during the brief period they are reddish before they turn bronzy.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

Beautiful!  I wish I could go for a walk in those photos right now!

@TuesdayTaylor, come on over and, by the way, bring a rake haha.  Just had a big clean up today.  Got lots done.  Storm moving in tonight!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@GingerPeach

Here in the Northeast, we also have Pin oaks which are infamous for their leaves remaining on the trees all winter long and then shedding in the springtime.

Quercus palustris or pin oak leaf:

@JustJazzmom, these look more like mine but my leaves are much fuller than these.  Far less free space between the 'branches' if you get my meaning.  Do you think they are the same?  I should snap a pic.  LM

Honored Contributor

Snap a picture and google oak trees indigenous to Nova Scotia/NE Canada.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Hi @Lilysmom

Both of these are also white oak leaves.  The leaves vary but are lobed.

And here is bark along with leaves:

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

I have to laugh, I take hundreds of photos and one day my oldest daughter says,,,"Mom you have 15 grand kids and you take pictures of TREES?"

Glad to see I am not the only one.

Honored Contributor
Ah yes, leaves are, for the most part down, and have been raked (several times). Except for 3 large, old Pin Oak tress, some of their leaves have dropped, but the trees themselves are still full. In my area (central mid west), they will still have leaves hanging on till nearly Spring. I have so many trees of various types that if I don't get the majority of the leaves up off the ground, grass does not grow in the Spring. It is a never ending job every Fall. I will be raking right up till the snow flies.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@grannyjan, too funny!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
Ah yes, leaves are, for the most part down, and have been raked (several times). Except for 3 large, old Pin Oak tress, some of their leaves have dropped, but the trees themselves are still full. In my area (central mid west), they will still have leaves hanging on till nearly Spring. I have so many trees of various types that if I don't get the majority of the leaves up off the ground, grass does not grow in the Spring. It is a never ending job every Fall. I will be raking right up till the snow flies.

@Snicks1, I will be right there with you raking in the freezing cold but it will make less work in the Spring ... Or at least that is what I tell myself.  LM

Honored Contributor

We used to have a dozen Norway maples in our yard and one huge pin oak tree. My poor DH had leaves all fall from the maples but the pin oak held it's leaves til spring so he had leaves again then. He would use the tractor to mulch them and then pick them up. I think if he had to rake them he would have cut them down.

I loved the trees and having a nice shady yard, plus they kept the house cooler in the summer but let the sun in the windows in the winter.