Esteemed Contributor

Re: Photos of Oak Trees

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach@JustJazzmom here is a photo of a couple of oak leaves I just took.  DH, who knows more about the trees than I ever will, says they are red oaks.  I will google red oak shortly and have a look.  Those trees are still loaded😩!  LM

Just googled.  Definitely red oak.  LM

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

As you already know, the red oak is a wonderful oak.  Magnificent.  It's always been one of my favorites.

I just found this very interesting bit of information about why it's good for the red oak to lose its leaves slowly in winter (from: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/interesting-red-oak-leaf-76555.html):

"Trees are called deciduous if they lose their leaves in the fall and stay bare throughout the winter. Red oak leaves don't always follow this procedure. After the leaves turn brown as fall fades into winter, many stay on the tree during the cold season. They protect the tree from disease by reducing the number of tiny wounds created when leaf stems separate from branches. Reducing the number of wounds also helps the tree keep its winter energy reserves high. The leaves start to fall in the spring as new buds begin to grow."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach, how interesting that is!   Thanks for sharing this information. DH is the tree expert here.  There is not room for one more tree on this property and it is almost two acres.  We have been planting for ten years and have the great fortune to have chosen a lot where there are already many mature oak, maple and birch trees here.  We made sure we were here when the backhoes did their work and didn't let them clear cut like they usually do.  The only time I don't enjoy them is during Fall cleanup!  LM

Honored Contributor

so pretty and fascinating! Don't you just love trees?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

You may already know about trees holding onto leaves and how it may benefit them during the year but, if not, take a look at the post with the link to the sfgate article a couple of posts away from this one.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I haven't read the article yet, but if its what I think it is,the leaves act as sails and further increase the force of wind upon the trees during storms.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom@GingerPeach, very interesting about the sails.  It goes hand in hand with what I was told at one of our nurseries.  We are on a hill and get a fair amount of wind.  I was advised to choose trees with smaller leaves for the windy parts of the yard so avoid tree damage in bad weather.

As a result of this advice, I planted a couple of Ivory Silks.  They are doing very well and have grown much bigger than I expect d which was a nice surprise.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I love the sound of the brown oak leaves rustling in the wind.  It was breezy here today and I took a walk down a country road.  The sound was magic.  Nice photos, beautiful property, @Lilysmom.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

To be clear, the article I quoted didn't mention anything about a sail effect.

The article referenced the fact that the red oak not losing its leaves early creates a situation that is healthier for the tree:

"Trees are called deciduous if they lose their leaves in the fall and stay bare throughout the winter. Red oak leaves don't always follow this procedure. After the leaves turn brown as fall fades into winter, many stay on the tree during the cold season. They protect the tree from disease by reducing the number of tiny wounds created when leaf stems separate from branches. Reducing the number of wounds also helps the tree keep its winter energy reserves high. The leaves start to fall in the spring as new buds begin to grow."

Honored Contributor

Very nice decorations. @GingerPeach

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼