Esteemed Contributor

Good morning.  Thought I would share what remains on my oak trees.  We are having a blustery nor'easter today, a typical Remambrance Day in the Maritime Provinces.  Rain scheduled for the afternoon.  

A lot of leaves came down last night.  Enjoy!  LM

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I love your Fall scenery.  And those remaining oak leaves will hang on for dear life, won't they?!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr, you know your oak trees!!!  We had leaves on one until April last year.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Oh those mighty oaks - even though most of the leaves are down, it is a love/hate relationship I think.  Leaves are messy I certainly agree.  Don't hate me for this but I do think your path looks nice, leaves on both sides almost looks like a cool mulch.

We have a white pine that sheds long golden needles this time and we leave them down to act as mulch.  They look nice - until they get stuck in my poodle's legs and feet and he brings them inside. 

Honored Contributor

It must be very sad for you to see your beautiful flowers fade away.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It must be very sad for you to see your beautiful flowers fade away.

@Kachina624, no.  I'm ready for Winter now.  I have a new quilt to work on.  It's already put together so that tedious job is done and I can just quilt.  I start to chomp at the bit around the first of March😊.  

I am hoping for a milder winter than last year which was awful!!!  LM

Honored Contributor

Hi @Lilysmom

Thank you for sharing these photos.

The leaves in the second-from-the-top photo look like Quercus alba (white oak).  Here in California we have an oak with almost similar leaves, Quercus lobata (Valley oak).  The valley oak keeps its leaves a long time during winter also.  (Although I don't have to do anything to take care of it myself since I am in a community that uses a landscaping service.  They could be WAY better, but that's a whole other story.)

I couldn't tell whether you have a variety of oaks or whether they're all the same.  

You are lucky to enjoy such proximity to nature that is all yours. On the other hand, I know it's a LOT of work.  

Quercus alba leaf                         Quercus lobata leaf

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Photos of Oak Trees

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach, thanks for that.  I will have to have a closer look at the leaves and see what it is.  I am thinking it is more like the second leaf.  We had a big wind yesterday so I'll start my first go at the oaks today.  LM

PS, if you look at photo 2 above, my leaves seem to be have more pointed tips thank your photos.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Here in the Northeast, we also have Pin oaks which are infamous for their leaves remaining on the trees all winter long and then shedding in the springtime.

Quercus palustris or pin oak leaf:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Beautiful!  I wish I could go for a walk in those photos right now!