Trusted Contributor

Outdoor rug and the Sun

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Not sure if this is the correct forum, maybe home??

Our deck gets so hot, too hot for us, more importantly, too hot for our furbaby. I've tried very thin rugs- about as thin as felt, but they get hot.

Is there an outdoor rug that doesn't get scorching hot? I'm not looking for expensive, or beautiful, I want function. I don't care if it stains, etc., just want it to remain cool, or warm, not scorching.

💚😺🐶💚

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Esteemed Contributor

If you just want function and don't care abt it being  faded  , try an old wool  rug . Natural  fibers don't get so hot. Anything with vinyl heats up .

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Amazon has cotton ones.  

Valued Contributor

@skittles2 

This doesn't quite answer your question but I'll share my experience with my cat who you can see in my avatar. I live in southeast Florida with a balcony (screened) that faces to the west. I get a lot of sun here. Kitty loves to be outside day or night. The balcony has large ceramic tiles as flooring. I've marveled how he loves to lay directly in the sun on our many 90+ degree days. I have noticed that despite the air temperature, the tiles stay cool in direct sun. 

Honored Contributor

Every summer QVC has sold woven plastic floor mats that look like rugs.  They're lightweight and easy to fold and move.  You must tack them down on the corners or they'll present a serious tripping hazard and they'll blow away in a stiff breeze, but they sound just like what you need.  They don't get hot.  Haven't seen them yet and they sell out fast. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick ...  (since you have that nice blue one on your deck/pario)

Respected Contributor

@skittles2 I bought the polypropylene "Patio Mats" or "RV Outdoor Patio Mat" or "Camping Mat". They are listed all 3 ways on Walmart. 

My decks were too hot for my 5 grandsons & I bought my first set here, Barbara Kingman, but found my 2nd set at Walmart.

They are great. Easy to rinse off. They are light & will blow, but I have things sitting on them so they don't blow away.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1    That's exactly what I was referring to in my post above. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Texas and we have a 9x9 outdoor rug we purchased from Home Depot.  However, our patio is covered, so I'm not sure how hot it actually gets.  It does get some sun in the morning but we generally don't sit out there until the afternoon. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

I also use one of those "plastic" rugs on my porch, and it is usually much cooler to walk on than the regular flooring (for me and the fur babies).  I have some furniture on top of it, and it is very sturdy.  It is easy to wash off, but the colors DO fade over time.  We can just roll it up and store it over the Winter.