Honored Contributor

I was watering plants with the hose yesterday, and all of a sudden a hummer flew in and put it's feet on the streaming water, staying there for a while, so close to my face.  Usually, they come when they hear water, but have never gotten onto the water.

Respected Contributor

Re: A HUMMINGBIRD THRILL

[ Edited ]

Wow...early..don't know where you are but I'm in Ct...sometimes we may start to see them by June, sometimes I see them later. So cute that it went into the water, and so close to you. Smiley Happy I keep meaning to get my feeder out of storage..

Esteemed Contributor

What a treat!  I have never had one go after water.  Hope he had fun.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl ~ Ah, the wonder of nature.  How cool was that!

Esteemed Contributor

Your post fits right in with what I read today. DH bought a subscription for me to Birds & Bloom and apparently this month is their annual Hummingbird issue. There's a nice article on page 43 that talks about how meticulous Hummers are to keep their feathers clean, and that they love sprays of water or lightly dripping water. It also mentioned that they visit bird baths as well, but I don't think I've ever seen that in my yard. We do love our little Hummingbirds!

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Wow...early..don't know where you are but I'm in Ct...sometimes we may start to see them by June, sometimes I see them later. So cute that it went into the water, and so close to you. Smiley Happy I keep meaning to get my feeder out of storage..

@amyb   I am in N. Ca, so they are here pretty much year round.

Regular Contributor

What a wonderful experience! I'm jealous...Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I had a hummer do the exact same  thing last week!  I was just mesmerized as I held the hose and tried not to move it.  He was so colorful...male, I suppose? He stuck around for the longest time and so close. It made my day!

Contributor

I saw my first hummer last weekend.  When I water my garden using my sprinkler that goes back and forth, they will often play in the water.  It's so much fun watching nature!

Honored Contributor

Amazing little critters!!! I have a water fountain that is red;  it was running when my resident hummer decided to take a bath in it--actually got it on video. then when I was changing the feeder for them, one landed on my hand and started drinking the food that was all over my hand, also this past Feb after a snowstorm, one had used the outside light to sleep--it did a full face plant onto the snow, wings out, like a snow angel then woke up and zoomed away---amazing little critters!!!