Frequent Contributor

The flowers are so beautiful!!!   I have had two hydrangea bushes for over 10 years & have never had a blossom!   Beautiful foliage, but nothing else.   One is in the sun & the other is in the afternoon shade.   I've fertilized ....still nothing!    Are yours in the sun or shade???   What do you use for fertilizer?     I have always left the dead looking stalks on until the green leaves appear, so that's not the problem.    

Honored Contributor

@conniebird

Use fertilizer with the lowest amount of nitrogen on the bag -- the first number. Another problem might be if the hydrangea is too close to the lawn and you fertilize your lawn with a high nitrogen product. Finally another problem might be as the buds are starting to swell at the end of winter, a deep cold snap arrives and freezes those buds which means -- wait till next year for flowers. 

You didn't mention pruning and if you prune too late ( end of summer), you may be removing those buds by accident. 

These are all factors that might be affecting flower production on your hydrangeas.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@conniebird wrote:

The flowers are so beautiful!!!   I have had two hydrangea bushes for over 10 years & have never had a blossom!   Beautiful foliage, but nothing else.   One is in the sun & the other is in the afternoon shade.   I've fertilized ....still nothing!    Are yours in the sun or shade???   What do you use for fertilizer?     I have always left the dead looking stalks on until the green leaves appear, so that's not the problem.    

@conniebird  Mine are in filtered sun/shade, not direct sun.  I have been using Epsoma and/or Cottage Farms Bud and Flower for Acid Loving Plants.

Frequent Contributor

I have never pruned the plants.   Next year I will use a different fertilizer.   Thank you for responding.   

Honored Contributor

@conniebird wrote:

I have never pruned the plants.   Next year I will use a different fertilizer.   Thank you for responding.   

@conniebird  So far, the only pruning I have done is to take off the dead flowers, or a dead branch, but not many of those.

Honored Contributor

Pistaschio

DSCF1728.JPG

Honored Contributor

Little Lime

DSCF1727.JPG

Honored Contributor

@MKR14, here are photos of my hydranges from the last few years.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,   Your hydrangeas are all beautiful.  Love all the colors.  Good for you to grow such beautiful flowers.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

DSCF6701.JPG