Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Yes, that is correct. You might be sacrificing blooms to shape or prune back your hydrangea. You can do this now since its not late September.  It may take a year or two for the plant to get back into creating flower buds and flowers. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom, thanks.  The last few years the plant is nice an green and few blooms. I guess I will do a good trim as soon as I can get to it.

I appreciate your advice.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Hydrangeas

[ Edited ]

One more question: @Mom2Dogs -- is it sited where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade? This also might determine amount of blooms. Some big leaf hydrangeas do not do well in a lot of sun, they put out less blooms.

Another factor is an extremely bitter late winter which could freeze buds as they are emerging and thus create less flowers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

One more question: @Mom2Dogs -- is it sited where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade? This also might determine amount of blooms. Some big leaf hydrangeas do not do well in a lot of sun, they put out less blooms.

Another factor is an extremely bitter late winter which could freeze buds as they are emerging and thus create less flowers.

@JustJazzmom, yes it does get morning sun but late sun not shade!  I do keep it well watered.  This is the first year that the blooms have been scant.  I will trim it back in early September.  It is a nice size and I really prefer it to be smaller.

Honored Contributor

DSCF1411.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF1303.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @mousiegirl@JustJazzmo et al.

Here in Nova Scotia some of our standard quick fire are just blooming.  We have had a very very dry month.  The grass crunches, the leaves on the trees are curling in and dropping.  In all of this, the hydrangeas are still beautiful.  

Everything I moved in June to make way for the stairs is in amazing shape, blooms and all.  I have been on the water brigade with them but it is just not possible to water everything.

The Endless Summer ones are gorgeous ... Tanzanite blue,beautiful pink, blush and white.

A rainy weekend thank heavens.  I woke up Wednesday morning to the smell of smoke from forest fires.  We are not used to this here.  All Provincial and municipal parks and trails are closed to the public.  A taste of what our friends to the south and north have been experiencing.  Praying for the fire fighters and other emergency workers!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  The aging Hydrangea I posted today is Endless Summer, always gorgeous fresh and drying.  I have quite a few for this reason.

We have been having beautiful weather all year, but it is supposed to go to the 90's and stay there 80's-90's for the next two months, hope not.  I have to water quite a bit as a lot is in pots, but I also have the vege garden and that takes a lot.  Do you have pictures of your vege garden?  I am about to post individual plants so the veges can be seen, but still waiting on the tomatoes, though a few are ripening, and lots of eggplant we have been eating.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Hydrangeas

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl, we have a small veggie garden.  I finally took this over from DH.  I tried to get him to look after it but, it was never something he did well.  We have green beans, cukes and different tomatoes.  Our tomatoes are still a couple of weeks away although I have had the odd one ripen early.

Next year, no veggie garden.  I find it feast or famine.  Nothing or way too much.

Good luck with the heat!

Here are a few photos for you.

LM

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, we have a small veggie garden.  I finally took this over from DH.  I tried to get him to look after it but, it was never something he did well.  We have green beans, cukes and different tomatoes.  Our tomatoes are still a couple of weeks away although I have had the odd one ripen early.

Next year, no veggie garden.  I find it feast or famine.  Nothing or way too much.

Good luck with the heat!

Here are a few photos for you.

LM

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@Lilysmom  Beautiful, thank you!  True about a vege garden.  We used to grow everything at our previous home, but I just got back into it this year after decades of not having one.  I will freeze excess tomatoes, whole, to make sauces in the future, but eggplant has to be eaten pronto.  I marinate grilled slices in an herby garlicky vinegrette, and serve as a side or on french bread/toast, wonderful and low cal. Smiley Happy