Frequent Contributor

I'm pretty sure they are Nikko Blue. They do get am sun and then also pm sun. But they are in the open so maybe the winter has taken a toll on these plants. I'm thinking of moving them or maybe I need to cover them in the winter. Thanks

Honored Contributor

'Nikko Blue' prefer shade in PM. Do you notice any wilting of stems or leaves in the PM and then it appears to perk up after a bucket of water is put on them?

The PM sun might be too strong. Preferred planting direction for this big leaf or macrophylla hydrangea would be a Northern, Eastern or Northeast exposure. You could get away with a Southeastern exposure but only if grown in the shade of a large tree.

It's possible that the late winter had a blast of really cold air (I remember there was at least one or 2 days in low 20's this past winter) which may have frozen any emerging buds. Best advice is : next year! 

You probably should move them to a more protected or shadier spot, but if you do it now, set up a soaker hose around the plant after transplanting and water, water, water. 

Or wait till late August and transplant whenever the heat of summer has lessened a bit. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

JustJazzmon, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

My Hydrangeas are already beginning to change color and dry.  this one was light pink a month ago, now is changing.

DSCF1187.JPG

Honored Contributor

Candy Kisses changing.DSCF1188.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF1190.JPG

Super Contributor

What a show. All of you have some real beauties. And, the variety of color is unbelievable. Thank you for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl - Thanks for the information!

Honored Contributor

'Wedding Gown' later in season photo:

'Wedding Gown' Hydrangea.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom...or anyone else that might know.

My plant is an older style and has only 3 large blooms this year. I do not see any additional buds on the plant, but it full and green.  If I cut the plant down now (end of July) I do not think I will have blooms next year, but from what I read if I need to rejuvinate the plant that is what I need to do...does this sound correct?