Honored Contributor

Re: I BOUGHT A GARDENIA BUSH🙂

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips  Are the leaves uniformly yellow with bright green central vein visible? It could be chlorosis which needs a product called Ironite. If planted too close to a cement foundation or bricks, or sidewalk, the lime from the cement leeches into the soil & the plant takes it in from the roots causing the chlorosis. The Ironite helps alter the pH so the plant's leaves stop yellowing. It's a liquid product.

@JustJazzmom Actually, yes, that does describe the leaves.  Not all of them, just some of them.  I would say the bush is about 8 feet away from the house.  I did buy some plant food that makes the soil acidic, so I will see how that does.  So, forgive me for asking a dumb question, but can I just cut the flowers off then to bring them in the house?  Does cutting them off make it bloom more?

I'm not sure if it makes more blooms if you cut off blooms. In our area, gardenia is a house plant.

Southern gardeners, can you help out? 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: I BOUGHT A GARDENIA BUSH🙂

@Puppy Lips   Absolutely cut the flowers, when they die on the shrub they are ugly, turn brown.  I do feed mine acidic fertilizer, at least once a year, leaves are very green, but there will be yellow leaves at times, just knock them off, lol.